Candy Cane Problem

Com3backKid

I recently bought a candy cane coral and didn’t notice this until I got home, but it’s skeleton seems to be deteriorating. I’ve been keeping an eye on it, but can anyone tell me what may cause this? It’s clear, what I assume to be sweepers, tentacles are almost always out. Could it be malnutritied? Please let me know what you think, thanks!

Hommicidalclownfish

How often do you do water changes and how much do you change out? To me it kinda looks like it's not getting enough calcium for the skeleton, are you able to test your calcium? If it's not that it males me think there could be pests tearing at it, if possible, maybe an hour past lights out take a flashlight, and see if you can spot anything in or around it. If you see something, definitely identify and eradicate it but if your calcium is fine and you don' see any pests, I would possibly try superglue gel on the affected areas to maybe kill, trap or block any kinds of pests that might be munching on it.

But you did say you got it recently, so I could be wrong and it could have just been like that for a while, and could be fine now from whatever might've been causing it.

SecretiveFish

Less than stellar water chemistry will cause this (first hand experience unfortunately). I would suggest doing tests for alkalinity, calcium, and magnesium every few days and dosing as needed. Also keep a close eye on PH as that can have negative effects if too low.

Are you feeding your corals? My husband likes Korallen Zucht Pohl's Xtra and Fauna Marin pellets (although it can be a huge pain getting the pellets to stay long enough on the coral for it to grab!!!).

Com3backKid

I just got it on Friday I believe, so I’ve only had it a few days, I keep my calcium between 420-480. I do biweekly water changes at a little over 10% (40 gal tank, I do 5 gallons). My pH stays between 8.4-8.4. And I do spot feed my corals a little bit of plankton and brine (I think) shrimp. It’s frozen foods. I test my water once, sometimes twice a week (mostly calcium twice a week). I really am hoping that the store I got it from just neglected it and that all it needs is some TLC to get back in shape.

SecretiveFish

Com3backKid said:
I really am hoping that the store I got it from just neglected it and that all it needs is some TLC to get back in shape.
I think this is the case. The coral should recover nicely in your care!

Com3backKid

If it is a malnourished coral and that’s the problem, how long would it be before I see an improvement in its skeleton, or will it always have those holes in it?

SecretiveFish

The coral is going to have to grow new skeleton as it can't repair the dead skeleton. You may have to cut away the dead skeleton to improve growth.

Com3backKid

As in refrag it?

SecretiveFish

Yes. However, I would give the corals more time to recover before doing that. Any extra stress might kill them right now!

Com3backKid

Alright thanks for all your help!!

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom