Candy Cane Coral

1. ScottC910 Initiate Member

A few weeks ago I bought a frag of candy cane coral. I've read all over that you should feed them brine shrimp or some sort of meaty meal. I have a marine blend gel that has all sorts of good stuff that my invertebrates enjoy as well as my fish. Do you think if I push it directly on to the coral that they would eat that? How do I know if they are actually eating it?

Thanks,

Scott

2. lorabell Well Known Member Member

I "target feed" all of my corals....my cany-cane loves it also...I do a mixture of frozen brine and mysis using my old faithful turkey baster. I do this a couple of times a week.In between, I make a mixture that just gets added into the whole tank of plantons,cyclopeeze,cyclops, some varried others and I also use marine snow. If u do the target feed thing your corals will love u for it!!!!!

3. Mike Fishlore Admin Moderator Member

The gel might be too chunky. When the candy cane coral's polyps are out at night, cut the bottom out of a 2 liter soda bottle, place it over the coral, use a turkey baster to gently squirt in the food items. Leave the bottle there for a few minutes and let the coral grab as much food as it wants. Thawed brine, mysis, rod's foods (http://www.rodsfood.com/original.html), marine snow, cyclopeeze are good to try.

4. ScottC910 Initiate Member

Thanks for the advice. Sounds like I need to update my food and strategy.