Candy Cane Coral

1. ScottC910 Initiate Member

A few weeks ago I bought a frag of candy cane coral. I've read all over that you should feed them brine shrimp or some sort of meaty meal. I have a marine blend gel that has all sorts of good stuff that my invertebrates enjoy as well as my fish. Do you think if I push it directly on to the coral that they would eat that? How do I know if they are actually eating it?

2. lorabell Well Known Member Member

I "target feed" all of my cany-cane loves it also...I do a mixture of frozen brine and mysis using my old faithful turkey baster. I do this a couple of times a week.In between, I make a mixture that just gets added into the whole tank of plantons,cyclopeeze,cyclops, some varried others and I also use marine snow. If u do the target feed thing your corals will love u for it!!!!!

3. Mike Fishlore Admin Moderator Member

The gel might be too chunky. When the candy cane coral's polyps are out at night, cut the bottom out of a 2 liter soda bottle, place it over the coral, use a turkey baster to gently squirt in the food items. Leave the bottle there for a few minutes and let the coral grab as much food as it wants. Thawed brine, mysis, rod's foods (, marine snow, cyclopeeze are good to try.
  4. ScottC910 Initiate Member

Thanks for the advice. Sounds like I need to update my food and strategy.