Can your fish do any neat stuff? i heard that bettas can learn....

1. fishphreak_4 Initiate Member

my fish comes to the surface when i turn on the tank light because i turn on the tank light when i feed him, so now if the light comes on he circles the surface.

2. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

My oscars get so excited at feeding time that they jump out of the tank about and inch or two to get the food. I could probably teach them to eat out of my hand, but I don't want them jumping out of the tank when I'm not home. :eek:

3. fishphreak_4 Initiate Member

that's pretty cool. when i had oscars they didn't do anything when i fed them. all my fish are boring. :p

4. Miss Mouse Well Known Member Member

My betta is really tame - he knows that when I wake up in the morning it's his breakfast time and he swims up and down the tank hinting ;D He also swims around my hand if I dip it in the water and my platy's all swim up to the side and stare googley-eyed waiting for their food :)

5. joe Member Member

My pearl danios can go from the tank to the top and you can barely see them move. That's especially at feeding time. Also my platy gos up and down the tank also, i think just for fun

6. Craig Well Known Member Member

my gouramis and guppies come 2 the surface when i open the lid of my tank they know there gettin fed lol

7. JustinT Initiate Member

Two of my angelfish and two of my discus come to the surface and stick their mouths out of the water when I open the lid of my tank and I can put food directly into their mouths! These same fish will also swim next to my hand while I have it in the water.

8. Jason Well Known Member Member

My angelfish are weirdos everytime I go past or am near the tank they follow me hoping to get more food. Sometimes they're so eager when i put the food in the launch at it so fast that water and food comes out at me

9. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

My Platies take food from my hand. Of course, if I don't have food, they just come and nibble my fingers. I was surprised at how hard their mouths are!

10. Jason Well Known Member Member

Yeah fishes mouths are pretty hard sometimes my angels wil nip my fingers and the first time it shocked me how hard they were

11. tennhound Initiate Member

My angels come to the top of the water and just stare at me when I get ready to feed them. If i set a glass on the top (i have glass tops) my sunset will sit and stare at it like she is waiting to be feed.

J-Man angels fish are know to be little beggers. Thy think they are starving to death all the time.

MARIE

12. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

My clown loaches are like puppies, in fact thats what we call them "the puppies". They come to the top of the water and wiggle in anticipation of being fed by hand. Doesn't matter that they've just been fed. they want to be fed again.
    My betta will follow my hand from one of teh tank to the other to be fed. So yeah I think they can be taught to do stuff.
    Carol

13. fishphreak_4 Initiate Member

thats cool. is it possible to actually teach a fish though? i mean, usually they just learn on their own when feeding time is or something.

14. Dazz Initiate Member

well my fish are just crazy they like to watch thereself on the tank glass and then follow thereselves. All of them do this. STRANGE

15. chickadee Fishlore VIP Member

clear.gif Azul, my Betta, knows I soak his pellets and when I put the yellow measuring spoon into the distilled water he knows food is in there. He starts swimming up and down and in circles wildly until I bring him a piece of PEA to settle him down. He almost bites my finger off to get it.

16. Janmitch22 Member Member

Whenever someone goes near the betta tanks, they all start twirling and flipping, just like everyone else's! One of them used to nip bloodworms from my finger, but then he'd nip at my hand whenever I stuck it in there to rearrange his rocks or his plant or something. I'm pretty sure they're trainable. Just like watery, colorful dogs.

17. NanoAddict Member Member

once my betta (unfortanately passed away now :'( :'( :'()attacked a spider that landed in his tank it started to bite the spiders legs and when i would turn the tv on he would watch it. I miss him his name was bety (pronounced BAI-TY)

18. chickadee Fishlore VIP Member

:D I know what you mean about them watching TV, Tyler. I moved Azul & Noel into my den so they would be closer to me as I am in here almost all day and the television is on all day in here. They watch movies with me and love the Animal Planet Channel. I also have a DVD of an aquarium and they watch it if I am working on something where I don't want the sound. It is so funny to watch them just floating there watching. They will stay sometimes for 10-15 minutes at a time. Noel is especially curious. They truly are just like little aquatic puppies and eager to please (especially at mealtime ;D)

Shalom,

Rose

19. Brad Initiate Member

my dog can shake sit rollover dance crawl play dead and jump on my back
    YEAH

20. Miss Mouse Well Known Member Member

My big goldfish (recently named The Mermaid) in the cold water tank has started coming to the side and if you put your finger against the outside she tries to nibble it ;D