Can You Use Silicon To Put Rocks On The Bottom Of A Tank

smaurer3076

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out how to keep plants in certain little plots in my 75. Do you think if I silicon the bottom of the rocks with and aquarium safe silicon will it keep the plant's roots contained?

fishfiles

Try putting them in pots like these

smaurer3076

Try putting them in pots like these
But what I'm going for is aquatic plants staying in little plots.

MyFishFillet

What are you exactly trying to do? will the plants be attached to the rocks before you possibly silicon the rock in the pot? example pictures would help a lot!

smaurer3076

What are you exactly trying to do? will the plants be attached to the rocks before you possibly silicon the rock in the pot? example pictures would help a lot!
I'm doing a rock wall divider of sorts. I want to keep the plants contained within the rock walls (I'm using flat slate pieces). Do you think it's possible?

MyFishFillet

If you are siliconing the plants directly to the wall then it won't be possible, at least in my opinion. When the silicon cures, it emits acidic fumes that I would expect to harm the plant. And I don't think the plant would survive for 24 hours+ outside of water while the silicone cures.

What plants are you planning on using?

smaurer3076

If you are siliconing the plants directly to the wall then it won't be possible, at least in my opinion. When the silicon cures, it emits acidic fumes that I would expect to harm the plant. And I don't think the plant would survive for 24 hours+ outside of water while the silicone cures.

What plants are you planning on using?
I'm not siliconing the plants to the wall, I'm going to have substrate within the dividers but I was wondering if the rocks could be siliconed. And I'm getting the plants almost a month after I get the substrate and rocks. So the silicon will have time to cure.

MyFishFillet

Yes then that would be fine, sorry I was a bit confused on your project intentions.

smaurer3076

Yes then that would be fine, sorry I was a bit confused on your project intentions.
Haha! That's fine! But do you think it'll keep the plants contained?

MyFishFillet

What kind of plants are we talking?

MyFishFillet

They all should be fine as long as they get enough light. Dwarf hairgrass does not like much current. I don't have any experience with watersprite or hornwart so you'll have to get someone else's opinion on those

smaurer3076

They all should be fine as long as they get enough light. Dwarf hairgrass does not like much current. I don't have any experience with watersprite or hornwart so you'll have to get someone else's opinion on those
Okay, the filters I'm getting are the Seachem Tidal 110 and 75. I can adjust the flow on the side with the hairgrass. From what I've read, Hornwart and Watersprite are fairly easy plants. The light I'm gonna use is the Finnex Planted+.

Kolegrundy92

Horn wort grows like wildfire. I've been donating it to my lfs and they are selling it in 8$ bunches! They won't even give me a z penny for it...

smaurer3076

Horn wort grows like wildfire. I've been donating it to my lfs and they are selling it in 8$ bunches! They won't even give me a z penny for it...

That's crazy! But I've actually decided against hornwort because I have a spawning pair of angels so I'm getting amazon sword for them to put their eggs on.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Aquaman420
Replies
Views
DoubleDutch
Replies
Views
ForceTen
Replies
Views