Can you use polished stones in tank?

FLGirl

HI all! I have some polished stones and I put about 4 in my tank then took them out...I started wondering if they where ok. They are the kind of stones like you find in tourist places and you can fill bags with them. They are like those, do you think they ok?

LyndaB

A lot of those "tourist" stones are tumbled to give them that shine. Others may have laquer. You absolutely don't want the laquered ones in your tank. Are there other decorations of any kind glued on or stuck on in any way?

Could you post a pic? :camera:

peacemaker92

IMO, as long as the stones don't have any chemicals on them then it should be fine. You could leave it in hot water for a day or so, then test it in some tank water that you took out after a water change. Test for any parameter changes. If nothing unusual, it should be fine.

FredBjammin

I wouldn't just because of not knowing what they polished the stones with/or if the put a cem coating on them to keep them pretty. I've only put naturally polished stones in my tanks.

TedsTank

Mosted the touristy kind of "polished" stones are just that. Take a nail or a sharp object and scrape a couple...if they are laquered, then you will see clear chips coming off. Wash them well in warm water and you should be ok.

I do lapidary work on and off and have rarely run into laquered stones. It's not cost effective for the cheap polished stone buiness. Cheap meaning inexpensive...the stones are actually beautiful. Most are very safe...the hI polished ones are very hard rock and usually some form of quartz...ie: agates, smokey quartz, rose quartz, clear, and pieces of banded geodes...all quartz.

FLGirl

Thanks everyone. I have lots of rocks and I think I got these when I was little at one of those put in the bag stands. Here is a pic...sorry about the shadow. I tried scraping them and nothing came of they are very hard. There is nothing else glued or stuck to them. There are actually a couple spots on one that are not polished all the way. You can see it allot on the bottom right one with purple and brown. I actually have a tumbler but if I remember right (haven't tumbled in awhile!) there is a series of things you add to polish and shine the rocks too but these are not ones I did and I'm not sure if its dangerous.

Thanks for helping me everyone!

TedsTank

Those look fine!!...purple would amethyst at first check...and is a hard quartz...possibly some flourite, but it is hard to take a good polish and won't hurt the tank. Anything with or looks metalic, don't use.

FLGirl

Alright, Thanks bunches everyone!!

LyndaB

Those are beautiful!

FLGirl

Aquarist

Good afternoon,

I agree with Ted and think they will be fine. Beautiful stones!

Ken

FLGirl

aquarist48 said:
Good afternoon,

I agree with Ted and think they will be fine. Beautiful stones!

Ken
Thanks! I'm excited that they will work!

Latest threads

Top Bottom