Can you tell what I'm getting soon?

Leeman75

I'm super-excited. I made the decision to make my 29 gallon tank into a Shell Dweller tank and below is the picture of the setup. I found a semi-local breeder and am hopefully getting them within the next week. A couple of questions for those familiar:

1. Is there anything that you would change about the way I have it set up?
2. I'm going to be getting Multies. The option is either a breeding pair or a breeding group (1 male, 3 females). How much of a difference does it make to get the larger group size? I'm not looking to actively breed, though I am ok and have options set up for the fry when they do breed. So, do I lose anything by just having the pair?
3. Also in the tank are 4 Zebra Danios and a Dwarf Gourami. Would it be too much to try to add a couple Brichardi in there too?

Shelly Prep.jpg

Hugooo

Friendly bump :)

TucanSam?

chromedome52

The tank is not big enough to add Brichardi, they will eventually control the entire space aggressively. I think multiple females are better, but there are some who say the fish work better as a pair. That is not my experience.

Leeman75

chromedome52 said:
The tank is not big enough to add Brichardi, they will eventually control the entire space aggressively. I think multiple females are better, but there are some who say the fish work better as a pair. That is not my experience.
I appreciate the info. I'll stand pat with the plans for just the Multies. They are, after all, the main focus of what I'm trying to do! :)

TucanSam

Sorry, haven't been on much. If you can get multiple females guaranteed to one male, I'd do that. I started with 1 male and 2 females and now the colony is like 15 fish strong.

Be aware with rocks and caves that multies (at least mine) love to hide in them. It's to the point in my tank that they avoid some shells altogether because they love their caves. Not a big deal, but it kinda ruins the best part of them which is... dwelling in the shells haha.

Your plants are at risk due to digging. Multies dig and dig until bottom, and they can disturb some plants and their roots for sure. Keep an eye on them, or protect them with rocks near their bases.

Chances are good a single pair would breed, and if your tank is in a good place I'd expect them to breed whether you want them to or not.

Leeman75

TucanSam said:
Be aware with rocks and caves that multies (at least mine) love to hide in them. It's to the point in my tank that they avoid some shells altogether because they love their caves. Not a big deal, but it kinda ruins the best part of them which is... dwelling in the shells haha.

Your plants are at risk due to digging. Multies dig and dig until bottom, and they can disturb some plants and their roots for sure. Keep an eye on them, or protect them with rocks near their bases.

Chances are good a single pair would breed, and if your tank is in a good place I'd expect them to breed whether you want them to or not.
Yes, they seem to like the rocks, though it's mainly just one who appears to have claimed it as their territory.

I only have a couple of plastic/silk plants so if they dig them up, that's fine. So far, they have not. They've moved the sand around a little and moved a couple of shells, but not as much as I thought they would. I actually added more sand to the tank after seeing in videos how they move it around quite a bit. They're still only a few days in the tank so that may come later.

I ended up getting a male and 3 females. I'm not certain which is the male, but I'm guessing that it may be the one that has claimed the rocks in the middle of the tank.

Top Bottom