Can you tell if my ghost shrimp are male or female?

Fluidmotion1987

Hello all and thank you for taking the time to help me out. I'm having trouble trying to distinguish the sex of my ghost shrimp. I have 6 but could only catch 3 out and get pictures of them it may not be easy to tell from pictures below but if you can tell any help is greatly appreciated! I just dont want to end up having a bunch in this tank vs putting males and females separate in one of my other aquariums.

Attachments

• 20210619_212728.jpg
    20210619_212728.jpg
    428.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 20210619_212654.jpg
    20210619_212654.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 20210619_212442.jpg
    20210619_212442.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 20210619_212411.jpg
    20210619_212411.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 20210619_211920.jpg
    20210619_211920.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 20210619_212243.jpg
    20210619_212243.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 20210619_211753.jpg
    20210619_211753.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 19

ChrissFishes01

Most ghost shrimp won't reproduce in freshwater, so it shouldn't be an issue either way :)

Based on the pics, it looks like P. Vulgaris, which will only breed in brackish or in crazy, crazy hard freshwater, according to some anecdotal claims on the internet.

Upvote 0

Fluidmotion1987

Most ghost shrimp won't reproduce in freshwater, so it shouldn't be an issue either way :)

Based on the pics, it looks like P. Vulgaris, which will only breed in brackish or in crazy, crazy hard freshwater, according to some anecdotal claims on the internet.
Oh so these aren't ghost shrimp? What is p. Vulgaris? I'm sorry I'm new to fish aquariums I've only been doing it about 4 months so I've learned a great deal but not enough to great at it lol. So out of curiosity can you tell though the genders? I've looked it up countless times and tried comparing but I cant see a difference in them. A couple of them are still babies as well the one pictured in the cave that one is my smallest. Where I live believe it or not every store that normally carries these are out of stock and havent had them in for about a month it's crazy

Upvote 0

ChrissFishes01

Oh so these aren't ghost shrimp? What is p. Vulgaris? I'm sorry I'm new to fish aquariums I've only been doing it about 4 months so I've learned a great deal but not enough to great at it lol. So out of curiosity can you tell though the genders? I've looked it up countless times and tried comparing but I cant see a difference in them. A couple of them are still babies as well the one pictured in the cave that one is my smallest. Where I live believe it or not every store that normally carries these are out of stock and havent had them in for about a month it's crazy
Good point! I should have clarified :)

"Ghost Shrimp" is an aquarium hobby name given to a ton of small, clear shrimp species. There's a lot of common shrimp that go under that name, and they can be tricky to ID. Those particular ones look like P. Vulgaris, a common species of shrimp that's probably the most common "ghost shrimp" available.

IME, females tend to be much larger than males, and tend to have a thicker tail section. But, realistically, the only sure-fire way I know of is if a female is carrying eggs. They'll be little green balls, down around their swimmerettes.

IMG_2783.JPG

If you can see the dark spots near the end of her tail, those are eggs. This female is almost 2" long - pretty large.

IMG_2784.JPG

This looks like a young male to me - although it could be a young female, as well. Hard to tell :)

I'm no expert on shrimp - maybe someone else will chime in with a helpful trick on sexing them, but as far as I know, there's not a 100% sure way.

Upvote 0

Fluidmotion1987

Good point! I should have clarified :)

"Ghost Shrimp" is an aquarium hobby name given to a ton of small, clear shrimp species. There's a lot of common shrimp that go under that name, and they can be tricky to ID. Those particular ones look like P. Vulgaris, a common species of shrimp that's probably the most common "ghost shrimp" available.

IME, females tend to be much larger than males, and tend to have a thicker tail section. But, realistically, the only sure-fire way I know of is if a female is carrying eggs. They'll be little green balls, down around their swimmerettes.

IMG_2783.JPG

If you can see the dark spots near the end of her tail, those are eggs. This female is almost 2" long - pretty large.

IMG_2784.JPG

This looks like a young male to me - although it could be a young female, as well. Hard to tell :)

I'm no expert on shrimp - maybe someone else will chime in with a helpful trick on sexing them, but as far as I know, there's not a 100% sure way.
Thank you for taking the time to explain that I really enjoy learning about aquariums and species I was searching online earlier and ran into something that was comparing 2 other versions of ghost shrimp as well.
I havent seen any eggs yet on any of them I've had these guys about 3 weeks now. I had to go out of town to buy them lol. When I was reading up on them it said online "the easy way to tell". So I kept looking at mine and wondering if I was missing something because I couldn't distinguish the 2. But that confirms what I was thinking it's hard to tell. I know when I had gotten them one of them had what looked like a single egg it was a tiny green ball but after a couple of days it was gone so I'm not sure.

Upvote 0

ChrissFishes01

Thank you for taking the time to explain that I really enjoy learning about aquariums and species I was searching online earlier and ran into something that was comparing 2 other versions of ghost shrimp as well.
I havent seen any eggs yet on any of them I've had these guys about 3 weeks now. I had to go out of town to buy them lol. When I was reading up on them it said online "the easy way to tell". So I kept looking at mine and wondering if I was missing something because I couldn't distinguish the 2. But that confirms what I was thinking it's hard to tell. I know when I had gotten them one of them had what looked like a single egg it was a tiny green ball but after a couple of days it was gone so I'm not sure.
Yeah, most species of ghost shrimp will drop their eggs after a while in freshwater. I'm not sure if the eggs themselves aren't viable or if the larvae can't survive in freshwater, but most people don't have luck breeding ghost shrimp without a specialized brackish tank. There are some species of grass shrimp that you can breed in freshwater, but they can be hard to track down.

If you're wanting to breed shrimp, Cherry Shrimp are a great option.

Upvote 0

Fluidmotion1987

Yeah, most species of ghost shrimp will drop their eggs after a while in freshwater. I'm not sure if the eggs themselves aren't viable or if the larvae can't survive in freshwater, but most people don't have luck breeding ghost shrimp without a specialized brackish tank. There are some species of grass shrimp that you can breed in freshwater, but they can be hard to track down.

If you're wanting to breed shrimp, Cherry Shrimp are a great option.
Well that actually works for this tank. This tank I dis want any breeding happening in because it's only a 10 gallon and also a community tank so I try to keep it at only what's in there, my mystrey snails I have in there I had to separate because in a matter of weeks the female laid 3 clutches so that's how I found out I had a male and female together now I have a small breeder tank set up for all the hundreds of baby snails I'm going to have to rehome lol. I would like to breed shrimp eventually because they are just so darn cute lol, but I want to make sure I'm a little more knowledgeable on aquarium keeping before I do so I dont want any casualties because of something I'm doing wrong. Right now I have have 4 tank so all these are not in 9ne tank but as far as inverts I have 2 dwarf crayfish a male and female (not on purpose) but they are Batman and Robin, I have 6 ghost shrimp my kids gave funny names to like popcorn shrimp and unicorn lol, and a crapton of mystrey snails I originally started with 3 a black (her name is Dahlia), a golden (Gary) and an ivory (Baby) but the golden male got ahold of Dahlia and that's how I recieved a ton of babies lol. But I eventually would like to start a tank of only shrimp and breed them that be awesome

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
richiep
Replies
Views
RMtanks
Replies
Views
Cheesecake
  • Question