Can you straighten a plant

1. Kindafishy Well Known Member Member

I recently tore down my 65 gal. tank. It had been heavily planted. So much so, many of the plants were too close together and competing for light. This caused many of them to grow rather crooked. It has been nearly 2 weeks of the plants being de-bulked and arranged so that they should each have adequate space.

Is there any way to help the stem plants straighten back out? I thought about tying them to wooden dowels, but I'm afraid things may start falling over. Any thoughts are appreciated.

2. Dempsey Dude Well Known Member Member

You could try that, yeah, although I think that may only work for terrestrial plants. What I noticed with my plants (some of them anyway), is that they will always grown toward the light. Even if a stem gets uprooted and is upside down, the stem will double back on itself and start growing toward the top of the tank! I've only noticed this with some plant varieties, however.

3. Kindafishy Well Known Member Member

And that's what I'm hoping for. If the whole stem won't straighten out, I may be able to cut off newer growth and replace the old.

I still may give the dowels a try, unless someone else offers another good solution.

4. EricV Fishlore VIP Member

You're best bet (at least with stem plants) may be to simply trim off the upper growth and replant it in the proper orientation.

5. Kindafishy Well Known Member Member

The experiment begins

Well, I'm going to see if this will work.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I used 12" dowels, which are a bit short for some of the stems, and a self-sticking Velcro-like product to hold everything together. I just started using EI from the Planted Aquarium, so hopefully the stems will get all they need to be strong.

6. Marie1 Well Known Member Member

Your tank is gorgeous!

I'm interested to see how this works. If it doesn't, just cut them down and when they grow back they should be straight. Good luck :)