Can You Stop Co2 After Startup?

Inspector413

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Are there any negative effect on plants that come from switching off the gas once the tank is on it's way to being established?
I'd like to start up a relatively easy keeper, 20gal planted tank for my office at work.
I was thinking of getting a small (rather) inexpensive CO2 kit, just to use on the plants, so I can get the maximum growth while my new tank cycled. Over the course of the first few weeks I was hoping to boost the plant growth before I started to introduce fish into the aquarium. When I run out of CO2, I let the tank coast for a bit and then decide whether I'd rather go with fertilizers or go back to CO2 for the long term. I really don't think I'd like to keep buying/refilling tanks over the long term, nor would I like to have the visible trappings of CO2 .

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Theres no point in buying co2 if you dont plan on keeping it. You should be able to hide a pressurized co2 canister in the stand so nothings visable and they dont need to refilled that often. Mine lasts me about 3 months in a 110g running 24/7 so your probably looking at 6 months for a 20g.

Zka17

Valued Member
Reaction score
CO2 fluctuation is not a good idea - have the next CO2 tank ready when the first is empty. However, if you don't plan on long term using CO2, then I would go with Seachem Excel from the beginning.

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
A 5lb canister of CO2 would last you for almost a year on a tank that size. It is worth the startup cost as maintenance would entail a yearly fill-up or swap fee.

mlash

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Are there any negative effect on plants that come from switching off the gas once the tank is on it's way to being established?
I'd like to start up a relatively easy keeper, 20gal planted tank for my office at work.
I was thinking of getting a small (rather) inexpensive CO2 kit, just to use on the plants, so I can get the maximum growth while my new tank cycled. Over the course of the first few weeks I was hoping to boost the plant growth before I started to introduce fish into the aquarium. When I run out of CO2, I let the tank coast for a bit and then decide whether I'd rather go with fertilizers or go back to CO2 for the long term. I really don't think I'd like to keep buying/refilling tanks over the long term, nor would I like to have the visible trappings of CO2 .
I have a 20gal long and I use a 5lb bottle. Like Fahn said, it will last a very long time. I am running ~6bps and I use a Sera 1000 reactor so no equipment is in the tank and it's bubble free. Also you should use fertilizers in addition to the co2. There must be a balance between co2, ferts and lighting.

Top Bottom