Can you rinse media in treated tapwater?

Nickguy5467

i mean instead of saving some tank water. i have a 10 gallon qt tank that is empty . thought about just filling some tap water to some high . throw in some Sechem Safe and just rinsing my sponges and other media in there. as long as the water has some dechlorinator(i cant spell?) in there would it be fine?

i can put water from the tank into a bucket though they are small. just curious if this is a viable option

fish 321

Ehh, I tried that once and my cycle crashed.

fish 321

I would make sure to mix the decholrinator well and let it sit for a while to make sure it is fully dechlorinated.

Flyfisha

According to the manufacturers Prime works in 2 minutes. When mixing 200 litres of change water at a time with just a cap full of Prime I admit I give the water a stir and wait a few minutes.
In theory you can rinse in any conditioned Water. In reality small volumes are better. Rinsing in a big volume means it’s black by the time you want to rise the last bit off. Much easier to rinse and toss a couple of litres . Rinse again and toss a couple of litres. Then a final gentle rinse again a toss another litre. When do lots of filters in one day you can’t keep cleaning in a large volume.

Personally I like to use the same water as the filter comes from ,most of the time .

Top Bottom