Can You Rinse Filter Out With Treated Water?

Mackenziecromie

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Can you do this?? If you use prime in small doses with a dropper and treat the water could you use that to rinse it so it wont kill the bacteria?

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Personally I would never risk rinsing my media in untreated tap water. The reason chlorine or chloramine is put into tap water is to kill bacteria.

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Although I agree with @jdhef I have new read the article in its entirety that @GlennO attached and now wonder if it's ok to rinse in tap water, being sort of old school what's sticking in my mind is different companies and your wells produce water some with high chemicals in like chlorine/chloramine so where it's ok for some it may not be for others, so until I read a scientific report on it I think I'll stick with tank water, it will be interesting to see hoe others clean the filters

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
98% of the time i clean my AC media in tank water but sometimes i will take the square sponge and really give it a heavy cleaning under the tap. But all my tanks have more than 1 filter so that is why my cycle isn't ever affected. Don't clean the ceramic or biological media under the tap always rinse that in the old tank water in a bucket.

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
98% of the time i clean my AC media in tank water but sometimes i will take the square sponge and really give it a heavy cleaning under the tap. But all my tanks have more than 1 filter so that is why my cycle isn't ever affected. Don't clean the ceramic or biological media under the tap always rinse that in the old tank water in a bucket.
I suppose cleaning and alternating cleaning your sponge under the tap is no different to replacing the sponge I'd still do a final rinse with prime though

Tol

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I rinse media in tank water. When I clean the actual HOB filter I use tap water, dry it and put the media basket back in.

Andy S

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You probably could rinse out your filter in treated tap water, my question would be why would you want to? If you are doing regular water changes you should have plenty of old aquarium water to use - why use fresh?

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
You probably could rinse out your filter in treated tap water, my question would be why would you want to? If you are doing regular water changes you should have plenty of old aquarium water to use - why use fresh?
The only reason I sometimes do the sponge is cause it gets very mucked up so the pressure of the tap cleans it out better than just wringing it out. Personal preference I guess

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Personally, I'd never clean it in just plain tap water if you have chlorine in your water. It will kill off some of your beneficial bacteria which is never a good thing. You can treat the water then rinse the media in it but most just use tank water from a water change. Regular water changes and rinsing your sponges in the tank water should mean you shouldn't have THAT much built up.

Marinus

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm going to be completely honest here. For many years I've rinsed my filter media with just tap water and I never had any issues. I am also of the mind that using tapwater will not wipe out your bacteria colonies and personal experiences seems to support this, for me at least. I also find it interesting to note that Swiss Tropicals, who supplies Poret foam for mattenfilters and the like, also says in his FAQ about cleaning that it doesn't matter about using de-chlor water. Snippet from his website: "It does not matter if you use cold or chlorine-treated water! The often repeated notion that this process would kill all the filter organisms is complete nonsense, because the residual chlorine concentration in drinking water is way too low to kill them." FAQ - SWISSTROPICALS

That said I think that this idea about needing to clean your filter media with old tank water is probably going to persist and honestly if you don't know or trust what is in your water then it's probably the way to go.

Cichlidude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm going to be completely honest here. For many years I've rinsed my filter media with just tap water and I never had any issues. I am also of the mind that using tapwater will not wipe out your bacteria colonies and personal experiences seems to support this, for me at least. I also find it interesting to note that Swiss Tropicals, who supplies Poret foam for mattenfilters and the like, also says in his FAQ about cleaning that it doesn't matter about using de-chlor water. Snippet from his website: "It does not matter if you use cold or chlorine-treated water! The often repeated notion that this process would kill all the filter organisms is complete nonsense, because the residual chlorine concentration in drinking water is way too low to kill them." FAQ - SWISSTROPICALS

That said I think that this idea about needing to clean your filter media with old tank water is probably going to persist and honestly if you don't know or trust what is in your water then it's probably the way to go.
Yes, again for those who missed it.

Read here on why rinsing your media in tap water will not kill your bacteria.

Rinsing Biomedia In Tap Water

yukondog

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I do the same thing, but I have two sponges in each tank also that never sees tap water.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Many many years ago I cleaned my filter media with tap water each time they needed to be cleaned. The thing is, we had our own well. I knew there was nothing in the water that would hurt my bacteria.

Fast forward to today. We are now hooked up to a municipal but rural water line. I can actually smell the chlorine in my tap water. My untreated tap water never touches my filter media. It gets cleaned with water I have pulled from my tank. I do wash my filter housings at the kitchen sink with water straight from the faucet.

To answer the OP question. Yes, you can clean your filter media with water that has had water conditioner added to it if you don't have a container of water you have pulled from your tank.

JayH

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Although I agree with @jdhef I have new read the article in its entirety that @GlennO attached and now wonder if it's ok to rinse in tap water, being sort of old school what's sticking in my mind is different companies and your wells produce water some with high chemicals in like chlorine/chloramine so where it's ok for some it may not be for others, so until I read a scientific report on it I think I'll stick with tank water, it will be interesting to see hoe others clean the filters
Chlorine/chloramine costs money, so water companies don't add more than needed to bring the bacteria in the water to a safe level. They most certainly do not add so much that your tap water can be used as a disinfectant.

I don't think there's any question that rinsing your filter media in tap water is going to remove a lot of the bacteria from the media. But the same can be said for rinsing it in old tank water. You're flushing out loads of muck so lots of bacteria are bound to come along with it. Will using tap water result in less bacteria in your media after cleaning? Probably, but not by much. You're probably flushing away half or more of the bacteria in the filter no matter what you clean it in. Does it really matter if it's 52% rather than 50%?

I'd say use whatever is convenient and you're comfortable with. Unless you're rinsing the media in alcohol or hydrogen peroxide, it's not going to matter all that much.

mossman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Not if you use a python.

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have a Python, and if I need to use old tank water, I just scoop some out and put it into a bucket, then use my Python.

NYCGOLD4

Reaction score
I use a python that requires two people I’m cleaning and my husband is at the bathtub. I’m lucky enough he will help me do that. To ask him to also put some of the yucky water in a bucket is too much. I use some treated water.to clean a sponge from the aqua clear and don’t clean the filters at the same time. I have a whisper came with the setup and sponge also. So far so good. Water changes are a big deal. I’m glad he can help. Drying out the python is my worry. Just started to use it since I upgraded to a 55 gallon from a 20.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom