Can you put crystals in your tank?

Kay438

Hello! I was wondering if you can put crystals in your tank? If so what kinda crystals can you put in?
Also what types of rocks can you put into your tank?

Best Answer - View MacZ's answer

PenguinTetra38

Some popular rocks used in aquascaping are seiryu stone, ohko stone, dragon stone, and slate stone. As for the crystals, I have no idea. I don't know what that will do to the water chemistry and I've never heard of that being done before.

MacZ

If any: Use fake ones made of glass. Just to make sure there is really absolutely nothing in it.

Natural crystals can be made up of toxic water soluble elements. There are crystals with sulphur, phosphor, arsenic, asbestos or lead. And very obviously salt crystals are not good in a freshwater tank. Rock crystal while not directly dangerous can raise the silica in the water.

Rocks: An endless list. Some are not good for every tank, some are universally ok.

DoubleDutch

MacZ said:
If any: Use fake ones made of glass. Just to make sure there is really absolutely nothing in it.

Natural crystals can be made up of toxic water soluble elements. There are crystals with sulphur, phosphor, arsenic, asbestos or lead. And very obviously salt crystals are not good in a freshwater tank. Rock crystal while not directly dangerous can raise the silica in the water.

Rocks: An endless list. Some are not good for every tank, some are universally ok.
I'd say quartz is pretty safe.

A201

Quartz crystals are safe. Crystals typically have sharp edges & are relatively difficult to clean. Not too good in an aquarium environment.

V1K

I can think of one type of chrystal that is definitely completely inert and won't affect water chemistry at all: Diamonds.

Fishproblem

V1K said:
I can think of one type of chrystal that is definitely completely inert and won't affect water chemistry at all: Diamonds.
Someday I'll talk someone into diamonds as substrate...

V1K

Fishproblem said:
Someday I'll talk someone into diamonds as substrate...
I work in an amber shop, and we know that another of our shops in a different city has an aquarium in it, so me and my colegues joked we should suggest our owner to replace gravel with small fraction unprocessed amber. We were wondering whether unprocessed amber would be inert enough to function as a substrate in a fishtank. However, we lack knowledge about its chemistry to reach a conclusion.

julifhy

I saw someone on Reddit have amethyst in their tank! It looked so cool. I think quartz should be okay as well or like someone already mentioned, crystals made out of glass.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom