Can you please help me with fishless cycle?

1. W

Wrtbrgr87 Valued Member Member

So, I learned the hard way how stressful it is for fish to do a cycling process. I had half my tank die in the first couple weeks and I had to humanely euthanize the rest with vodka and water because they were barely alive and were changing colors. So, now the tank is empty, ammonia is reading zero and the nitrites are reading 2.0 ppm. The nitrates are around 10 ppm, which is normal for my area. I dropped in some food to allow it to decay to continue feeding the nitrifying bacteria and now I'm wondering if all I do is wait or if I need to do water changes. Of course I know to do a 50% water change once the readings are zero, but am I missing anything else? Please help, I'm super upset with myself right now because i fully stocked my tank without reading about the nitrogen cycle.... Am I doing this properly? I appreciate any and all help. Thanks so much.

Joe

Edit: Oh, and how often do I need to feed the empty tank? Thanks!

2. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

3. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I'm really sorry about your fish. :(
    Add just a pinch of food a day. Fish food gets real messy, you might want to use shrimp like Shawnie suggested.
    No need to do water changes until the cycle is complete.

4. OP
    OP
    W

So if I went out to by ammonia hydroxide, would that be pure ammonia? I was thinking of just adding this to feed my microscopic pets. LOL. I heart you two =)

5. Shawnie

no it is not pure ammonia.....you need industrial strength and that has to be added daily as well....the easiest is just a piece of raw shrimp ...drop it in and forget about it until its done...

6. Lucy

I used ammonia hydroxide (no additives) to cycle. For me, it worked fine.
    However, it's easy to overdose and run into problems. Imo, if you're going to cycle with ammonia, it's best to start that way, not mid way through.
    Remember, we use ammonia to kill bacteria in our homes. It can also do that to the beneficial bacteria growing in your tank.

Since you have nitrites and nitrates, it looks like your well into the cycling process and go with shrimp like Shawnie suggested.

7. Shawnie

wow ty lucy! didnt know that was useable!:;nw

8. OP
    OP
    W

Ok so all I need is one raw shrimp correct? I don't have to replace it or anything until the cycling process is done?

9. Lucy

I've read where people use Ammonium Chloride. There may be a difference in the way it cycles. I dunno. lol

10. Shawnie

correct...but put it in a net or nylon so it doesnt decompose all over the tank ;)

hmm lucy ive never heard of that one either LOL

11. OP
    OP
    W

So, do I need to remove the shell from the shrimp? Or can I just through in the raw shrimp in a net, shell and all???

12. Shawnie

I removed the shell..and crank up your heater..the warmer the water the faster it cycles as well ;) good luck!

13. OP
    OP
    W

I have the heater turned up to 86... That ok? I also removed the shell and my dead shrimp friend is just floating at the top near the filter in a net. =) How long do u thinkn itll take for nitrites to decrease and nitrates to increase?

14. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

86 is fine. I don't know how long, but I do think it'll be soon.

15. Shawnie

86 is great....try sinking it down in a net ...get it totally water logged...that way you wont smell it as bad...its a guessing game as to how much longer..but great job going fishless !!

16. OP
    OP
    W

it's hanging about mid-way down with the lid holding the net in place. How is that or should I just put the whole net in the tank?

17. OP
    OP
    W

One more quick question. Is it ok if there is a smal layer of foam at the top of the tank and the water is a bit hazy? It's day two of having the shrimp in there. Thanks.