Can you only use white vinegar to clean tank?

1. Crissandra331

Crissandra331 Valued Member Member

Or are there are other types of Vinegar you can safely use as well?

2. 1971roadrunner

1971roadrunner Well Known Member Member

Only WV, that's what I was told according to my research (also called, white wine vinegar). I clean my protein skimmer with 1 quart of vinegar to three gallons of water to submerge it. Same ratio would go for a tank itself and just did this on one of my tanks with a VERY good rinse and everyone is fine.

*Yes, same thing goes for FW as SW :).

3. Castiel*

Castiel* Well Known Member Member

White Vinegar only! This is all I use to clean my used tanks and equipment before I use any of it.

4. M

Mamajin Fishlore VIP Member

Papajin has been using Distilled Vinegar for 18 years, and I've always followed suit and used the same. While there are several different types of vinegar, the distilled white vinegar is mostly used for cleaning.

5. Dolfan

Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

Distilled White vinegar is the way to go. I think White Wine Vinegar is different and not the same as distilled white vinegar. You basically don't want the extra sugars, flavors, coloring, etc from any other type of vinegar, just the regular only plain white vinegar. It's also the cheapest, I get it by the gallon for around $3-4 at the supermarket. Vinegar has a 1,000 uses.....

1 cup in a empty dishwasher then run a full cycle with no dish soap to clean it out and sanitize things

dilute it with water and put in a spray bottle for a good general purpose safe cleaner that won't leave residues etc.

great for removing mineral deposits around the tank or water fixtures

pour 2 cups or so in a bath tub and fill it up with water and let soak for a few hours or overnight, will clean it out real good, great for baby baths so you don't worry about any dangerous chemical residues for sensitive babies

just to name a few, haha.

6. OP
    OP
    Crissandra331

Crissandra331 Valued Member Member

Okay!! Thanks will stay away from all other vinegar!! Always nice to ask before you act ;)