Can you move platy fry in a smaller bag?

Honkub

I accidentally ordered bags that were way too small to move my larger fish, so I bought a large bucket to transport them. That said, I have fry that I'm worried will be eaten in the bucket with the bigger fish. Is there any way I can put platy fry in small bags? Is there a minimum size that you'd recommend? My move is about 7-8 hours. If I have to I'll chance them in the bucket, but I figured I'd look for some opinions. Thanks!

To clarify, I'm moving 3 platys and a molly. Also one platy fry who defied odds and wasn't eaten lol. Still very young, but larger than the mouths of the other fish

I also have a portablr airator I plan on occasionally turning on to get some air flow going.

TexasDomer

That should be fine! I would also add a small piece of ammonia absorbing media in the buckets and bags, or add a dose of Prime.

Honkub

I have nutrafin cycle, would that work? Also do you know what sized bag would be too small for the fry? Thank you!

One final question. Would I be ok to add a gravel bed and some of my fake plants to try and preserve some beneficial bacteria?

TexasDomer

No, that won't work.

And I can't give you an exact measurement, but if you bought a bag specifically made for transporting fish, it should be fine for the fry.

Honkub

Ok perfect, thanks!

TexasDomer

Adding gravel to the bag? Don't do it - you could crush your fish.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • Lmg01
  • Platy
Replies
Views
Lmg01
Replies
Views
Dechi
Replies
Views