Can you mix low light and high light requirement plants

fishkeepinginaisa

I am setting up my first planted tank. (I've done reef tanks for years, but never really dipped my toe into the freshwater world.) Can you mix high light and low light plants? Like if you have the light for the plants that need it, will it cook the low light plants? I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, but I can't find an answer online.

Thank you.

LeahsTank

I do not have a green thumb, but you should be able to plant the low light plants in the shadows of larger plants and decorations.

Upvote 0

Mudminnow

Sure, you can mix low and high light plants. The only issue is that some of the low light plants like bucephalandras and anubias grow very slowly so are prone to algae in high light. I find the key is to have mostly fast growing plants in high light, and use the slow growing ones sparingly. Also, placing the slow growing, low light plants in the shadow of hardscape or other plants is often helpful.

Upvote 0

fishkeepinginaisa

Sure, you can mix low and high light plants. The only issue is that some of the low light plants like bucephalandras and anubias grow very slowly so are prone to algae in high light. I find the key is to have mostly fast growing plants in high light, and use the slow growing ones sparingly. Also, placing the slow growing, low light plants in the shadow of hardscape or other plants is often helpful.
Awesome thank you. Does light placement make a difference. I mean if you put it toward the back of the tank instead of in the middle then put your high light plants in the back and low light plants in the front?

Upvote 0

Mudminnow

Does light placement make a difference. I mean if you put it toward the back of the tank instead of in the middle then put your high light plants in the back and low light plants in the front?
Good question. In my tanks, I've only noticed this to be a small difference, and probably not enough to warrant planting different kinds of plants. Often, what I notice most is that the plants will orient themselves to the direction the light is coming from. I think what makes more of a difference is the distance the plant is from the light source.

Upvote 0

Berryblue

I agree, it is less about whether they are in the back or foreground and more about finding the shady spots for the low light plants. I was terrible at keeping anubias until I started placing them in the shade of taller plants or hardscape and that is when it started to flourish.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
JustAFishServant
  • Question
Replies
Views
Otocinclus13
Replies
Views
-Mak-