Can you mix different types of plecos? 29 Gallon Tank

1. fbn Well Known Member Member

Hello, I have a clown pleco already, but he doesn't get the whole tank clean. I was wondering, can I get another clown or other small type of pleco? Will they coexist? Thanks!

2. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

I believe they will get along fine. Maybe a bristlenose - they stay a good size for your tank. :)

Something to keep in mind, though, is the waste that plecos produce. Maybe use a bunch of shrimp to help clean up leftovers if the bioload is too much with two plecos? (I'm not saying it is, btw; I don't have enough experience with them to judge their total bioload in a tank.)

Best wishes!

3. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

you might get away with another clown or bn as iloveengl suggested..but thats a bioload thats greater than a 29g needs with the other fish present :(

4. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Don't expect a clown pleco to be a tank cleaner. It is an omnivore and would probably appreciate bloodworms or other meaty foods more than the algae in your tank. And, as iloveengl said, all plecos produce a lot of waste relative to their size. I'd suggest picking up a Mag Float rather than adding to the stock list, but that's JMO. :)

5. fbn Well Known Member Member

What is a mag float?? Iloveengle What types of shrimp? I am hopefully going to get some drift wood for Christmas, so the Clown will appreciate that. I have read they eat wood too. Oh, and Harpua would shrimp pellets be good?

6. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

7. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

I use ghost shrimp to clean up in my brackish tank and my freshwater tank. They're really inexpensive and you can toss quite a few in because their bioload isn't much compared to how well they clean up. I have twenty or so in my 55g. :)

8. fbn Well Known Member Member

Well, would they be compatible with the following:
    2 ram cichlids
    2 killifish. (the one ate a small danio)
    male betta
    clown pleco
    2 platies
    and danios.
    Thanks a lot everyone by the way! I would definitely keep ghost shrimp for a BIG option if they are compatible

9. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

Hmmmmm, it depends what your decor is like. Do you have lots of plants (real or fake)? Do you have drift wood or tunnels or such? Your rams would likely try to chomp the shrimp, but if there are places for the shrimp to flit off to and escape, then it should be fine. They're vulnerable when they shed, which is why they need a place to temporarily escape until their new shell hardens.

Around here, they cost 6 for a dollar, so I don't mind if my fish manage to grab a snack now and then, but it doesn't seem to happen too often. (My tanks are heavy with hiding places.)

10. fbn Well Known Member Member

I'm hopefully getting driftwood...I have a cave, 4 fake plants, 1 live plant, and a ruins thing. the fish I would be shared the most about would be the killifish. They aren't agressive, but would maybe eat them. They are CRAZY eaters haha. Dart around everywhere.

11. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

clowns MUST have driftwood..its an essential part of their diet...