Can you mix and match Cory catfish?

Discussion in 'Corydoras' started by jtscarlett, Jul 12, 2016.

1. jtscarlett

jtscarlettNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everyone!

So here's my predicament. About five months ago I got a new fish tank and got four Cory catfish. Everything was fine for a few months until all of a sudden three of my cories died right in a row. There's only one left.

I upgraded to a 20 gallon long tank and I now want to get my little Cory some friends because I know they like to be in packs of five or more. However, the pet store that I bought my cories from no longer has this specific type of Cory (cory loxozonus). They just have "assorted cories" and right now they seem to have panda cories (if I Identified them correctly). I've been to a few other pet stores in the area that have some peppered cories but none of the exact type of my Cory.

So my question is this: should I buy some peppered and / or panda cories to keep my Cory company? Will that suffice? Should I wait until the pet store has Cory loxozonus again (which idk if that will happen)? Suggestions please!

2. johanna

johannaNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    4 years
    That would probably be best if you can't buy any of the same species. The panda cories would at least be something until you can get more of the same kind but you should still try to get more of the same kind. they do best in groups of at least 6 so i would aim for an end goal of 5 pandas and 4 more of your kind. in my experience they do fine in those numbers and they should be fine in your 20 gallon.

3. LJC6780

LJC6780Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,214
    Experience:
    1 year
    I've read they tend to separate out into specific groups when mixed so I'm not sure it would work. Have you asked your local store if they can order fish for you? Maybe they can order you the specific one rather than waiting ...

4. Abbielouise1804

Abbielouise1804Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +33
    Experience:
    1 year
    You could perhaps look into ordering the exact species online? It may be a little more pricey but you would at least know your little cory will have the right group of friends around him.

5. maggie thecat

maggie thecatWell Known MemberMember

SE USA - not quite in the middle of nowhere, but d
    Ratings:
    +585
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    If you can match the markings (more or less) it will help or so I've read. I had a similar issue to you with Melini cory. They hung out with pandas to the point when I finally sourced some new ones, they still stuck with their old buddies. Maybe an age thing? Anyway, some buddies are better than no buddies.

6. OP
    OP
    jtscarlett

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone!

I've looked into ordering them online but every website I've looked at said they are sold out? I'm not sure why.

I could try asking my pet store but it seems like they just buy whatever cories they can get at the time. It's worth a shot though!

7. maggie thecat

maggie thecatWell Known MemberMember

SE USA - not quite in the middle of nowhere, but d
    Ratings:
    +585
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Some fish are seasonal. Either they only spawn at certain times of the year, or they can only collect or ship them from wherever they are sourced. Either way, it makes it difficult to just restock when things like this happen. You either make do, using a less than perfect solution, or go without.

8. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +11,742
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    You could try rehoming your loxozonus to someone who already has some and pick a new species yourself.

9. OP
    OP
    jtscarlett

Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately I don't know anyone else who has any

10. octavio

octavioValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +10
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Keep the cory you have and buy him some friends about the same size. Buy more of his specific species when you can find them. One can never have too many cory cats. Good luck.

11. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +11,742
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Never ever ! Too many Corys I mean !

12. Dave125g

Dave125gFishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +10,914
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    One thing no one mentioned (if it was said I didn't see it) You can get a couple of different schools but watch for temperature compatible.