Can You Make A Profit Selling Bettas?

Discussion in 'Betta Breeding' started by CROWNTAILBETTA, Apr 17, 2017.

1. CROWNTAILBETTA

CROWNTAILBETTAWell Known MemberMember

Hi everyone, I have been looking into breeding HMPK bettas for a while now and I have been wondering if it is a wise decision for me to breed and sell these fish. my plan is to use a 10g for the pair and then put the female into a separate 5g or 10g. I would move any female fry to my empty 120g and separate the males into 100+ jars. I will probably feed them baby brine shrimp and eventually bloodworms once they are a little older, I will only cull the fry with deformities and give away or discount the ones that are unattractive. I am however still wondering if you can make money selling bettas so I would love some input. this is the pair I am interested in BTW     @Flowingfins @KingD

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  2. Al913

Al913Fishlore VIPMember

Definitely! However you will make more profit if you sell online along with in store. If you look at AquaBid there are many types of bettas being sold some for 410 while other up over $50. Ebay is also a good place

3. Fashooga

FashoogaFishlore VIPMember

You should be able to make a profit selling fish, you just need to make sure you can move your inventory quickly as you don't want unsold fish just sitting around. Also you'll need to buy things to ship around since it's not a toy. All your things that you need to ship out, box, whatever you need to secure the fish needs to be added to your mark up. How much does each box costs you and how much does each item to secure the fish in the box will cost and you'll have to move that expense to your bill of sale.

4. bgclarke

bgclarkeWell Known MemberMember

There is a small mom and pop type store here that imports HMPK, PK, and HM bettas from a particular breeder in Thailand.
    They bring in the "lower quality" ones.
    Males sell for around $30, females for $13-$15.
    They also sell "matched pairs" for $45.

These bettas are gorgeous, and if they are the lower quality ones I would love to see what the high quality ones go for.

5. Mcasella

McasellaFishlore VIPMember

Got any pictures of them? Nice or rare colored ones go for quite a pretty penny, I remember a yellow (nice solid color, really rich tone) hm male going for over 80$, plus shipping (which was around 24$) and he was on ebay.
    You can make money, if you are able to get a niche going on where you hold the best of the best and are able to meet the market.

6. OP
    OP
    CROWNTAILBETTA

Is the pair I showed good enough to sell the offspring, or are they "mutts"? :) Edit: never mind they took the ad down. :(

7. MaddieTaylah

MaddieTaylahWell Known MemberMember

I have been wanting to do this for a while too with elephant ear halfmoons. I'm interested to hear what people have to say.

8. OP
    OP
    CROWNTAILBETTA

is my plan practical? tell me what you all think! :)

9. Mcasella

McasellaFishlore VIPMember

I would get them onto flake or pellet food that way they can have a more varied diet (and cheaper) than bloodworms. Most of the pairs you would have shipped in via transhippers while not show quality (unless you get one's with nice form) are pretty much top of standards for selling. The hmpks I got have very nice forms. Sound plan. You may have to also separate the aggressive/more aggressive females from the other females too.

10. Flowingfins

FlowingfinsFishlore VIPMember

I juat wanted to say that you won't make money starting off, you'll probably invest $1000 or more and you'll be lucky to break even for your first spawn.

11. OP
    OP
    CROWNTAILBETTA

Wow, thanks for telling me! :eek: I think I will breed something like cichlids then. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice