Can you keep floating plants in a tank with a lid?

PongLee

I have red root floaters and they don’t like their leaves to be wet (I’m pretty sure). With all the condensation on the lid, they’re constantly wet when that condensation drips back into the water. Is there a way to keep floating plants while also having a lid on?

Yeoy

I haven't read that about them, most surface plants either constantly have wet leaves, or have a hydrophobic skin that the water beads off of them.

I have heaps of duckweed in my tank with a lid and it's fine. I also bought a bunch of red root floaters (currently in QT) to go in my tank with a lid (get lots of condensation/dripping). Hopefully they work out.

I've kept some dwarf lilypads in aquariums with lids before to and it was fine. I'd just try them and see.

Noroomforshoe

I have kept hornwart floating plants with a tank lid.

CrackerboxPalace

I've also kept dwarf lilies and duckweed in a tank with a lid. As Yeoy said, all the floating plants I can think of have evolved to have a hydrophobic leaf surface. Assuming red root floaters are the same, then they should be fine. :)

PongLee

I’ll close the lid and see how it turns out after a week or two. I like it in my shrimp tank but there’s a lot of condensation so good little experiment I guess

Basil

Seems that red root floaters either love your tank or hate it, lid or no :)
I’ve kept water sprite and anacharis floating in tanks with lids.
And salvinia minima goes bonkers in my betta tank with a lid. But it also has very low water movement with only a sponge filter with the flow regulated down a bit so not much surface agitation.

KianMan

do they require a lot of light?

PongLee

do they require a lot of light?
From what I know, not super amounts of light but if you want darker greens or eventually red, then high light is the only way to go

TClare

I have water lettuce in tanks with lids, they are hood type lids not close fitting Glass ones. The water lettuce grows like crazy.

RayClem

Unless you are keeping fish that like to jump (like hatchet fish), it may not be necessary to have a lid. There are advantages and disadvantages to a lid. I try not to use a lid unless I have to do so. I once kept a saltwater tank with a snowflake eel who could slither right out of the tank if I left any opening greater than 1/2 inch.

I have water sprite (aka Asian Water Fern) in my tanks. They are stem plants that can grow rooted or left floating. In one of my tanks, the stems grow about 4 inches above the top of the tank and I have to prune them occasionally. If I had a lid on the tank, they would bump against the lid.

Floating plants generally like a lot of light. One reason they grow at the water surface is that they have access to direct sunlight.

StarGirl

Unless you are keeping fish that like to jump (like hatchet fish), it may not be necessary to have a lid. There are advantages and disadvantages to a lid. I try not to use a lid unless I have to do so. I once kept a saltwater tank with a snowflake eel who could slither right out of the tank if I left any opening greater than 1/2 inch.

I have water sprite (aka Asian Water Fern) in my tanks. They are stem plants that can grow rooted or left floating. In one of my tanks, the stems grow about 4 inches above the top of the tank and I have to prune them occasionally. If I had a lid on the tank, they would bump against the lid.

Floating plants generally like a lot of light. One reason they grow at the water surface is that they have access to direct sunlight.
I did not have luck with Duckweed (I KNOW!!!! :eek:), Red root floaters or Salvinia Minima but the Dwarf water lettuce is growing great for me. Hood lids not glass. Could be my stinkin hard water though. :cool:

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Crimson_687
  • Question
Replies
Views
kansas
Replies
Views
awilkinson871
  • Question