Can you keep a single Scarlet Badis

TheFISH12
I am considering Scarlet Badis as a centerpiece. Could I keep a single (probably Male) Scarlet Badis in a 20 gallon. The only other fish would be a school of small tetra or corydora.

babyfish
Scarlet badis can be kept alone. I think they can also be kept with tetras...........

Rick bose
Aren't scarlet badis really small? How can they be a centre fish? To answer your question, yes I don't think scarlet badis won't cause any issue to any tetras as they roam in different regions of the tank. I am not sure but I guess they can be kept with corydoras also as though scarlet badis are territorial but I don't think they can harm a much larger fish like corydoras if they are not extremely small sized. Scarlet badis require a planted tank. If your tank is 20g, you can keep multiple badis too with good hiding spots and plants. Keep males in a ratio of 1:2. 1:3 will be even better. You can keep 2 male ones too witj several females if your tank is 20g long, not 20g tall. But if you want to keep a single that's fine too but as per I know they need a planted tank. And I won't advice keeping multiple scarlet badis with corydoras. I have successfully kept 4 scarlet badis in a 11g long tank in 1:3 ratio with a heavily planted tank. The tank also had 6 white cloud mountain minnows without any problem.

RelaxingBettas
Rick bose said:
Aren't scarlet badis really small? How can they be a centre fish? To answer your question, yes I don't think scarlet badis won't cause any issue to any tetras as they roam in different regions of the tank. I am not sure but I guess they can be kept with corydoras also as though scarlet badis are territorial but I don't think they can harm a much larger fish like corydoras if they are not extremely small sized. Scarlet badis require a planted tank. If your tank is 20g, you can keep multiple badis too with good hiding spots and plants. Keep males in a ratio of 1:2. 1:3 will be even better. You can keep 2 male ones too witj several females if your tank is 20g long, not 20g tall. But if you want to keep a single that's fine too but as per I know they need a planted tank. And I won't advice keeping multiple scarlet badis with corydoras. I have successfully kept 4 scarlet badis in a 11g long tank in 1:3 ratio with a heavily planted tank. The tank also had 6 white cloud mountain minnows without any problem.
I am afraid mine would starve in my big tanks, I'll give them a species tank if I can find a female or two, but I don't think I'd ever see them again in my 29s (tetras are pretty fast about snapping up the grub, my badises prefer to lurk and hunt more methodically). There's an ideal community situation for these guys, my dream is a long Myanmar biotope, but I am not there yet (and I am not feeling the tetra combo).
(Corys might be ok, but the scale is kind of weird, I'd personally lean to pygmies in that situation, if I was determined. I think all the swooping around might freak them out.)

TheFISH12
Rick bose said:
They are small. I guess the only reason why they would be a centrepiece is because there would be only one of them and it looks different to the tetras. Also I was planning on pygmy cories anways if I did choose corydoras.

RelaxingBettas
I get it, my kubotais are a centerpiece, small can be choice- it's so tricky trying to figure out what works, every tank, every fish is an individual, you know? Some people can keep two males as long as the subordinate minds his business, but my dominant male made it his life mission to hunt him like a daphnea, anyway lol. He got really pretty after I took him out and gave him his own space.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom