Can You Keep A Single Peacock Gudgeon

FantasyFanVII

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Title pretty much says it all. I like the idea of having one flashy "main" show fish in my 20 gallon community tank, and I was wondering if you could keep peacock gudgeon alone, or if they do best in at least pairs/trios. From what I've read they seem like they're not really a schooling fish so they don't need to be in a big group, right?

Seasoldier

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have 5 in my tank & apart from two who seem to have paired up they pretty much ignore each other, I personally wouldn't keep just one on it's own & would have at least a male / female pair (to get the best colouring from the male). As for being a flashy main show fish, yes they have beautiful colouring but they don't get very big so don't immediately draw your eyes to them. I also wouldn't put two males together in a 20g as they can be aggressive towards each other.

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Avoid 2 of the same gender. A trio in a small tank will quickly become a pair or less.
Singles are normally fine.

FantasyFanVII

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks for the advice. I didn't necessarily want a really big show fish anyway. It would probably be a bit much for the set up I want. I was thinking more of a single, pretty fish that stays by itself so it stands out when you do see it. Thought about a gourami, but they seem to have more of a reputation for going after shrimp so that's out.
Anyway, if anyone can recommend a seller that can reliably sex gudgeons and send a guaranteed male/female pair I'll probably get them. If not I'll just try a single and see how it goes. It seems safer then buying 2 random fish and hoping for the best.
Oh one more thing. I'm planning on the gudgeon going in a community tank with danios, which tend to be a tad bit insane. Not aggressive, just super active. They usually stay to the top of the tank. Would it be a little much for a gudgeon, or do they seem pretty unphased by anything. Note: I'm making a heavily planted tank so there will be plenty of hiding spots.

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You'll want a bonded pair if you go that route, preferably proven (have mated). Your tank is IMO way too small to try to bond Gobies, and nothing else in the tank will survive if it goes badly.

FantasyFanVII

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sounding more and more like I'll get as single unless there are any strong objections. The last thing I need is a couple of annoyed peacock gudgeons killing everything.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom