Can You Keep A Betta In A 2.5 Gallon?

1. akcarroll12 Member Member

i want to hear people’s thoughts. Can you keep a betta in a 2.5 gallon with a small filter, heater, and Chrystal clear water.

2. BiggerIsBetta Member Member

Yup

3. emmysjj Member Member

Yes, but your betta would be happier in a 5 :)

4. akcarroll12 Member Member

Just wondering cuz I have a betta with a 29 gallon ALL to himself and a betta with a 2.5 gallon all too himself and a betta with a 10 gallon all to himself. Big size differences :)

5. emmysjj Member Member

You could split the 10 gallon, but I would get other opinions :)

6. BiggerIsBetta Member Member

I have a betta in a 20 and a betta in a 2.5. Honestly I prefer smaller sizes, as there's less to do. My 2.5 has been up for a year and I only mess with it to do water changes. The fish is active and healthy, and honestly does better than the one in my 20

7. Demeter Well Known Member Member

I've got several bettas, so many that I don't care to count them all atm. My females and juveniles in the 29gal love it and actively swim among the plants. They are plenty interactive with me as well.

I've two males, one in a 10gal and another in a 3.4, both planted. The boy in the 10gal can be skittish while the other never hides and will let me do pretty much anything to him. The problem is, in smaller tanks it is much harder to get the right amount of water movement. I've had to stifle the flow in the 3.4 but he still has little trouble swimming against the current. In a larger tank the long finned males are better able to get away from a swift current.

Looking at the more "pet" fish like flowerhorns it is noted that when kept in a smaller tank they are far more interactive with the owner. Put them in a large tank with decor and they become more skittish and won't interact as much. I think you can apply the same idea to bettas, a rather intelligent and interactive species.

8. Lynn78too Well Known Member Member

I have one in a 2.5 gallon and he seems quite content, the one in the 10 gallon though seems much happier. He's a pistol though, he prefers the one corner and will guard it from anyone when they walk by.

9. Abby565 Member Member

For sure! I actually find that bettas with long fins get pretty tired from swimming around in big tanks because they are bred for beauty and often are better suited for small tanks(2.5 to 10 gallons). Females and shorter finned varieties to great. Just a random bit of my experience with bettas.:)

10. Anika Initiate Member

I have a betta in a Fluval Spec 2.6 gallon with a mystery snail, they seem to be doing great in there! I have been having issues with water clarity and algae but nothing maintenance and some water clearing drops can't fix!

11. Monicakeks Initiate Member

Yes, I usually keep mine in 10 gallons divided into twos or threes but as long as you've got the filter and heater he/she will be fine, just make sure you're not using rough plastic plants. :)

12. emmysjj Member Member

My betta is in a 10 gallon with 2 nerites and a mystery snail. He appreciates the upgrade from his 5 gallon ;)

13. RobinWhiskers Member Member

The bigger the better but I keep my Betta in a 2.5 gallon tank and it's doable.

14. Dave125g Fishlore Legend Member

A 2.5 gallon is better then a shot glass, but I advocate 5 gallons minimum.

15. JamieXPXP Well Known Member Member

Yep you can keep bettas in a 2.5g. Sometimes even do better then if they were in a bigger tank depending on fins and personality. Personally I like keeping bettas in 5g or bigger as it is easier to aquascape and decorate compared to something smaller.

Share Page: