Can you identify?

divakeeks

Hey all.

I recently acquired some fish from someone who was going to flush them as she was moving and didn't want to take them with her. RUDE, right??

Anyway, I have only had bettas recently and little neon tetras when I was younger so I have absolutely no knowledge of these fish. They are freshwater. There are four. One, I believe I've seen and is an albino catfish. (Not to hard to ID those, eh?)

Anyway, the other three are all the same (different sizes of course) and are orange and black. The have more pointed noses. They have somewhat long fins on the top and a split tail fin. They are EXTREMELY spastic swimmers and very vigorous eaters. I am going to try and get a picture but I am in the process of a move and can't locate my camera at the moment.

If anyone has any suggestions, that would be great! TIA!!

capekate

HI there,
sorry no clue.. its hard to tell without a photo. Wish I could help!

COBettaCouple

from the desc. it could be they're comet goldfish but i'm not sure without a pic.

Tom

They could be a from of platy with long fins. I have seen them in stores(the fins weren't glued on ;D ).
Tom

gremlin

They may also be tiger barbs. how is the orange and black? stripes, spots, splotches?

capekate

good call gremlin... they can be tiger barbs as well!

Callum The Cat

I agree sounds like a tiger barb to me I have 4

Peace Out Callum!

divakeeks

thanks for the help, all of you. I was looking in the pet store and I think I figured out that they are serpae tetra. the pictures I found online look pretty darn identical.

so, would a pleco have a problem with them or vice versa? or with an albino catfish?

COBettaCouple

they should be compatible with a pleco, but you'd need a 55 gallon or bigger for a common pleco. Do you mean albino cory cats? I think they'd get along with serpae tetra too.

divakeeks

Yes, I have one albino cory (that is probably what he is) .. he is spastic!!! The pleco is a galaxy pleco .. I can't seem to find out much about them ...some sites say they should be by themselves ... The place I got him from though had him in a tank with others ...

I have a 55 gallon that I will be putting all these fish in together after I move ... that is why I am trying to find out if they are compatible. I have also heard that corys should be in groups .. should I get a couple more?

this will be my first large tank and I want it full but not overstocked ... any suggestions? If I need to ask this question elsewhere, please direct me...

thanks!

COBettaCouple

have you looked up that pleco at planet catfish ? I think they have the best database around on the many,many,many,many,MANY catfish, including the plecos. That and if you wanted to post in the Pleco forum, I wouldn't be surprised if some other members have galaxy plecos.

Corys like to be in groups of 2 or 3 at least, but they're even more amusing to watch when you have more like 6 or so.

Plecos & Corys generally get along with other fish and tend to produce a little more waste so you'll probably want less than 55" (adult size) total in fish. Butterfly is much more knowledgeable on plecos than I am, along with a lot of pleco owners, so i'd say a post in the pleco forum would get you answers to any questions you have that i've not answered.

divakeeks

That is a great site .. thanks for the referral!! I found out what I needed to know!

COBettaCouple

That is a great site .. thanks for the referral!! I found out what I needed to know!

yw.. glad we could help. that's one of the best, if not THE BEST catfish web sites and a fav. with members here.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
RedOnion
Replies
Views
The_fishy
Replies
Views
CaptainAquatics
Replies
Views