Can you identify this male guppy?

FreshwaterCole

Hello,

At the lfs yesterday looking for T connectors for airline tubing and decided to buy this female and male, knowing the female was pregnant at the time.

She's already popped out 1 fry in our tank and there was 2 fry stuck together by their stomachs in a drop of water in the bag after doing the net over bucket. These 2 are still stuck together, somewhat fighting with eachother as they swim through tank. This female was in a species only tank, the fancy male was in a male guppy only tank.

Having a 10g to acclimate and treat if need be I put them both in same tank. Neither of them attempt to eat the fry, they acknowledge but don't seem to want to eat them. Another 10g running to either remove male or female if there's aggression etc. or both I suppose if I see them eating fry.

There is some fin damage unfortunately on the male, so makes it a bit harder.

New to the Guppy world, so hoping some of yahs can chime in on this one.

Also, considering the female was pregnant when purchased, is there a chance she could have another set of fry but from previous male this spawn came from?

Thanks in advance!

mrsP

Female can store sperm up to a year, and will decide itself if it wants to use it. I'm not sure about male, but if he was in male guppy tank, I would say male guppy, perhaps some orange sunset type.

What comes to fry, those 2 stuck together should be culled. Most likely they won't live long anyway, and should definetly not breed even if they would. Unfortunately sometimes this does happen. I did have WAY too many guppies in my tank, and it started with 3 females and 3 males, if I remember right. Even when people say that they eat their fry, oh I can only wish they did. They didn't, and neither did goldfish or bettas. I hope you have a plan where to get all the fry when they can be sexed, they would need 2 tanks, one for males and one for females, and after growing them up, a fish store to take them or sell them yourself. They can be stunning, the last males I sent to my lfs, had few with even some blues and purples in them.

FreshwaterCole

mrsP said:
Female can store sperm up to a year, and will decide itself if it wants to use it. I'm not sure about male, but if he was in male guppy tank, I would say male guppy, perhaps some orange sunset type.

What comes to fry, those 2 stuck together should be culled. Most likely they won't live long anyway, and should definetly not breed even if they would. Unfortunately sometimes this does happen. I did have WAY too many guppies in my tank, and it started with 3 females and 3 males, if I remember right. Even when people say that they eat their fry, oh I can only wish they did. They didn't, and neither did goldfish or bettas. I hope you have a plan where to get all the fry when they can be sexed, they would need 2 tanks, one for males and one for females, and after growing them up, a fish store to take them or sell them yourself. They can be stunning, the last males I sent to my lfs, had few with even some blues and purples in them.
Tha
mrsP said:

Hey thanks for the reply, yeah definitely a male guppy lol.
It is quite fascinating how many different color morphs they have like Bettas.

I'm thinking he's a Tuxedo Dumbo Guppy, and yes almost has that Tequilla sunrise look.
Either way some nice colors on him.
Haven't found any other guppy type closer to the above mentioned, good to know though moving forward.
FreshwaterCole said:
Hey thanks for the reply, yeah definitely a male guppy lol.
It is quite fascinating how many different color morphs they have like Bettas.

I'm thinking he's a Tuxedo Dumbo Guppy, and yes almost has that Tequilla sunrise look.
Either way some nice colors on him.
Haven't found any other guppy type closer to the above mentioned, good to know though moving forward.
That would also mean, concerning the female, that if she has sperm from endler male then we will know soon enough!

mrsP

If you want to get some really wild colors (and I mean really, explosevely colorful and strange combos, like I had blue and purple) get some endlers to mix. I had pale yellow (blonde) and traditional male colors, and oh boy... stunning, but way too good at breeding. I was tempted to try to get a strain of that blue, and another of fluorecent orange and opal snakeskin combo, but I don't have the space. :rolleyes:

FreshwaterCole

mrsP said:
If you want to get some really wild colors (and I mean really, explosevely colorful and strange combos, like I had blue and purple) get some endlers to mix. I had pale yellow (blonde) and traditional male colors, and oh boy... stunning, but way too good at breeding. I was tempted to try to get a strain of that blue, and another of fluorecent orange and opal snakeskin combo, but I don't have the space. :rolleyes:
Oh cool, well this female is an Endler actually...although I guess some experts say guppy/endler same.

So I'm curious what her fry, and of course the fry from these 2 will look like.
Definitely some nice combos though you mention. The dragon ones are neat as well.
Yes, I suppose one never has enough tank for guppies lol. 3 10's should buy us, maybe a couple months? Lol
That's ok, I look forward to trades and selling some, maybe strengthening a line or two. Sure will be an adventure for my son lol, he's still young so he's getting a kick out of the hobby for sure!

emeraldking

The male has got nothing to do with being a sunrise guppy. Eventhough the dark body isn't intense black, it's a tuxedo guppy. Officialy, it would be called a tuxedo red but a lot of them look more orange (specifically those from a commercial line).

FreshwaterCole

Thanks for your reply,

Definitely has that tuxedo look, I've been searching online to maybe see by what he looks like, what the dominant strain is and we can match later with a female of that same... But I'm guessing color genes have little to do with the sex?

A wait and see for what these two make, I may take him out for now though.

Atleast from what I've seen he's not harassing her and her gravoid spot is still defined, and looks to be carrying more fry. So my next question(s) would be (may need another thread) is it possible that she can hold fry or the duration of can last days?

Thanks again!

emeraldking

Yes, she can hold on to the fry before dropping them. That could be days or even some weeks.

FreshwaterCole

Oh, interesting lol. Thanks for the reply!

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom