Can you ID this orange-black banded freshwater fish?

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by Florian Pellet, Jul 2, 2016.

1. Florian PelletWell Known MemberMember

I saw this on youtube

Screen Shot 2016-07-02 at 16.25.25.png

I really like banded fish, and so far the only one that I could find for my tank would be tiger barbs, but they'd kill everyone. So I'm hoping this one is something else !

If you want to see the video, it's at 9:18 on this video:

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
  2. CowBoYReX

CowBoYReXWell Known MemberMember

Bumblebee goby

3. FallenOwl

FallenOwlWell Known MemberMember

I agree, it looks like a bumblebee goby.

4. OP
    OP
    F

Florian PelletWell Known MemberMember

Well done! It seems as though you are right. Which makes me pretty sad because this species doesn't seem compatible with my tank...

5. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

I may be wrong but I think that particular type is better off in brackish water.

What type of fish do you have and what size tank? A fish that looks similar is the south american bumblebee catfish, but idk if it will be compatible with whatever fish you have.

6. Fettuccini

FettucciniWell Known MemberMember

Tiger barbs would probably not mess with your other fish too much as long you keep the barbs in a school of at LEAST 6, preferably 8 or more. The only time they really get aggressive with other fish is when you don't have enough of them.

7. OP
    OP
    F

Florian PelletWell Known MemberMember

I have Harlequin rasboras, a Betta, and shrimps. And frankly, I'm afraid tiger barbs would nip my Betta and plainly eat my shrimps!

8. Fettuccini

FettucciniWell Known MemberMember

Oh yeah, they'd totally ruin that betta's life. Have you looked into black ruby barbs? They're more peaceful than tiger barbs and the females look very similar to them.

9. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

I would not add any barbs with a betta, or any other fish for that matter. If it's working right now don't try adding any more fish.

10. Mifuluhu

MifuluhuWell Known MemberMember

Yes a bumblebee goby and yes he's brackish so probably won't do well in the tank

11. IchthyologistinmakingValued MemberMember

Bumblebee goby absolutely no doubt, not sure as to which species exactly as there are something like six very similar species in that group, but they are all definitely brackish water fish unfortunately.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice