Can you ID this little guy? Help

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by ToneyTime, Apr 4, 2010.

1. T

ToneyTime New Member Member

Hi guys, this might be asking too much with the pics provided, but at my LFS in the tank with Tetras there was 1 strange little guy sticking out who I couldn't ID. I asked one of the employees (who didn't seem to know much about fish) and said it was just a feeder in there (some brutal 1.5" Tetra I guess). Anyways I got some Tetra and asked if he would snag the feeder, I was kinda attached to the fellow. Now I can't figure out what kind he is, its definitely not the guppy/goldfish feeder type. Attached are some poor pics (wish I had a real camera). He's the silver guy in the pics, has flakes of shiny blue sparkles on him and 3 black spots/vertical short stripes on his side leading to a tail marking like that of a Micky Mouse platy. Not the Tetras themselves, the skirt is what I purchased to get him and the neons were there already.

Any ideas cause I'm at a loss. Thanks soo much guys, this forum is the greatest!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  2. funkman262

funkman262 Well Known Member Member

white-skirt tetra I believe

EDIT: or maybe you meant the other guy...considering the markings, he probably is a mickey-mouse platy as you said. I can't think of any other fish with those markings.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  3. angelfish220

angelfish220 Well Known Member Member

in those pics I see neon tetras (red an blue) a little platy of some type, and a white skirt tetra.

I think it was the white skirt that you wanted IDed?

They are also schooling fish just like the neons.

4. OP
    OP
    T

maybe it is just a Micky Mouse Platy, I have never seen one in silver before though. Its not the tetras in the pics, the other guy

5. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello TonyTime and Welcome to Fish Lore.

:animal0068:I've moved your thread to the Fish ID Help section of the forum.
    I hope you enjoy the site!
    Thanks!
    Ken

6. bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

It definitely looks like a type of platy to me.

On Liveaquaria.com, I've seen platies (coloring like yours, but differently shaped) sold as feeders, so maybe that's how he ended up in the tank.

I hope this helps.

7. redlessi

redlessi Well Known Member Member

Its probably a blue platy..........

8. ppate1977

ppate1977 Well Known Member Member

Looks like a salt and pepper platy with less markings. Prob why they said he was a feeder. My salt and pepper platy has blue shine on his scales in the proper light and angle.

9. A

A_Strad New Member Member

has anyone ever seen a silver dollar? they're very common, schooling, and basically just like a skirt tetra.

10. e_watson09

e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

It's a platy of some sort from the looks of it.

11. R

Red Tiger New Member Member

Fruit Tetra/white skirt tetra~They are the ones that are usually dyed. Wal-Mart has them. See if it looks like they're fruit tetras.

12. OP
    OP
    T

Thanks guys, Salt/Pepper Platy solves the great mystery, apparently he is a feeder after all but he is gonna live a full (hopefully) and happy life instead now.

13. Tigerfishy

Tigerfishy Well Known Member Member

That was a good rescue lol!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice