Can you help me with my plants?

ArcticRain

Hello! I am a newbie to aquarium plants, I recently set up a 20 Gallon High tank. I have been doing a Fish-in cycle with 4 Platies and TSS, there is currently no bacteria.
I added 4 Ludwigia, 2 Amazon Swords, 1 Floating Hornwort and 3 Pygmy Chain Swords when I set up the tank. I have a 15Watt AquaRays Fresh and Saltwater bulb by GE. I have put in Flourish Root Tabs for the Swords and use Flourish Comprehensive Fertilizer. All my plants seem to be having issues but, they are still growing.
Here are the problems..

The Amazon Swords are turning brown a the tips and some of the smaller leaves seem to have an orange sheen and are withering. Is this algae? What should I do for the brown tips? There also seems to be some clear spots in the leaves.

IMG_0961.JPG
IMG_0962.JPG

The Chain Sword hasn't seemed to grow at all in the 2 weeks I've had it. It seems to be turning Brown/Yellow on the ends and some of the strands completely fall off. What is this?

IMG_0966.JPG

The Hornwort is partially sinking, I had to throw away most of it to get it to float. Also, the ends of the needles are turning clear and seem to be fuzzy almost. Is this the algae again?

IMG_0974.JPG

The Ludwigia is my biggest concern. The leaves on all four plants are getting holes in them, turning brown, then falling off. Even parts of the stalk have fallen off! It is still growing quite fast but, all the leaves keep falling off.

IMG_0967.JPG
IMG_0968.JPG
IMG_0969.JPG

Thank you everyone for your help! It really means a lot to me!

Thunder_o_b

I am going to say you do not have enough light. Even with LEDs 15 watts would not be enough light for any plants other than low light. Light falls off quickly as it travels through water.

What is the water temp? What is the PH?

Spencer1044

It could also be that the plants are new. Plants will often shed their leaves "melt" when put into a new tank with different water conditions. As long as you see new growth you should be fine. To see if something is algae just rub the leafs to see if the spot comes off but to me it does not look like algae. How long are you keeping your lights on every day? What type of lighting do you have?

ArcticRain

The water is kept at 80F. The PH used to be 7.2 but it has risen to 7.6 over the past few days. I don't understand why?
The light bulb is GE AquaRays Fresh & Saltwater Florescent bulb. The owner of my LFS said it should help my plants. Its a very pink looking light. On the back it lists that it is 15 Watts, 675 Lumens and 9325 Kelvins.
Only the Amazon Sword and Ludwigia are showing growth. I leave the light on for 12 hours each day. I have had the plants for almost 2 weeks, shouldn't they have stopped melting?

Spencer1044

I would shorten the amount of time you have your lights on to 10 hours. This could explain the black tips. Kinda like cooking if you put something in the oven for the right amount of time it looks great but leave it in their to long and it becomes black and burnt. This usually happens to the tips of my Amazon sword because they are at the waters surface and get the brightest light all day. It's good that you're seeing new growth that means the plants will most likely be okay. The hornwort will take longer to adjust to its new floating position in the tank. You should trim off any dead or dying leafs. This will allow the plant to put its energy into new growth rather than trying to repair the dying leafs.

Goundar01

You could have potassium and iron deficiencies. The lumen count in your leds is too little especially in a 20 gallon high tank. For leds, watts doesn't really matter. It matters for how many lumens and how high the par is. The par for your tank lights would be 28 roughly at 675 lumens.

With the Current USA LED+ 24" will have 1000 lumens. Makes ludwiga grow really nicely, your plants will thrive in that light. It is a little pricey.

There is also Fluval Aqualife and Plant LED which, has 1495 lumens. This one is a little cheaper. If, you have CO2 as well. You can grow plants of medium light. A good chart to go buy is from tropica for their plants.

Better then buying expensive Flourish Root Tabs. Try finding some health stores and buying gelatin capsules size 00. Osmocote Plus or Miracle Gro Shake Feed 19-6-12. Apply it in your substrate every 3 to 6 months. Saves you a lot of money. Tropica ferts are pretty much the same thing.

Hopefully, I gave you enough information

Thunder_o_b

Better then buying expensive Flourish Root Tabs. Try finding some health stores and buying gelatin capsules size 00. Osmocote Plus or Miracle Gro Shake Feed 19-6-12. Apply it in your substrate every 3 to 6 months. Saves you a lot of money. Tropica ferts are pretty much the same thing.

Hopefully, I gave you enough information

Well, you just saved me a lot of money

Goundar01

There's always ways to save money and still keep your fish healthy/happy.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
eelgosquiggle
Replies
Views
Kalyke
Replies
Views
Nickel5
Replies
Views