Can You Help Me Understand This Water?

1. Snailwhisperer

Snailwhisperer Valued Member Member

I know my tank is over stocked 40 gal: 8 mystery snails, 2 rabbits, 2 demon spikes, 3 chopsticks, 1 ramshorn, 10 mini shrimp, three mollys, too many fry. Recently my ammonia has been showing on the Seachem Ammonia alert as .05ppm. However, when I test the water I am getting zero nitrites and zero nitrates.

Could the ammonia be due to over stocking? Could the lack of nitrates be due to lots of plants?

I have been doing 30% water change every day or two and adding stability and prime. Is this the right idea?

Thank you...

2. AquaticJ

AquaticJ Well Known Member Member

If most of those you just listed are snails, I don't think you're overstocked. Are you using the liquid test?

3. OP
    OP
    Snailwhisperer

Yes I am. I didn't test the ammonia with the liquid because I have the alert in the tank.

4. AquaticJ

What kind of filter do you have, and when did you start up the tank? Also, when you test the nitrate, are you shaking bottle 2 vigorously for 30 seconds, adding it to the vial, and then shaking the vial vigorously for a minute, and waiting 5 to check?

5. OP
    OP
    Snailwhisperer

I have a Top Fin HOB. It came with the tank. It has been running for a month. I used filter and substrate from an established tank. In the filter is a cartridge and some floss.

The water was doing ok. No Ammonia, no Nitrites, nitrates would rise and I would change water. I added the chopsticks and 5 inch long fry and shrimp and then the ammonia started rising a bit. It rises every day .05ppm.

Thank you. I was not shaking it hard enough. I followed your instructions and got 5.0ppm Nitrates.

Should I be worried about the ammonia? What could be causing this?

6. AquaticJ

Recently adding fish probably caused a baby spike, not something I'd worry about!

7. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

I would test the ammonia kit as well just to be safe. I’ve heard that the Ammonia Alert does not test as accurately as a liquid test kit.

8. s

smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

Whats your ph

9. OP
    OP
    Snailwhisperer

Thank you for encouraging me to check the tank. The Ammonia was 4ppm. I am doing a 30% water change right now. It is probably a bit high since I fed recently. I believe that causes a spike.

My Ph is 7.4

Should I worry now? Or could this be a mini-spike with new fish and food?