Can You Help Me Sex This Guppy?

Handelma

I just bought 2 fancy guppies and 2 Endlers from the fish store. I asked for all males, however the three fish keep chasing one of the guppies, which makes me wonder if its a female. It is larger than the rest, but they all seem to be nipping at its belly. What do you think?

Ohio Mark

It looks like a male to me.

GlamCrab

I see a male

Handelma

Here's another picture. If its a male than why are the other fish chasing and nipping? I'm seriously considering going back to the store and exchanging it.

Fanatic

I agree with the others, male.

Thunder_o_b

Male.

JtheFishMan

Male.

CaptainAquatics

IDK why they are chasing it but it is male.

Guppy_Lover713

Both guppies are males. Males will sometimes nip and chase each other.

richiep

Same here male

Handelma

Thanks everyone! I'm confident its a male now. I'm keeping a close eye on them to see if nipping will be an issue

I just bought two male guppies and the smaller one won't stop chasing and nipping the larger one. When I noticed this I separated them for 30 minutes by putting the tequila sunrise in a cup. Everything seemed fine so I reintroduced them and in 10 minutes the little guy had nipped him 6 or 7 times. I'm not sure if I should give them some time to get used to each other or return them.

If I got another male could it change the dynamic? Could it be because they are different color types?

What should I do?

Goldiemom

They are probably trying to decide whose alpha male right now and defending new turf. It may get better and it may not. I have 7 and someone is always nipping at another. Somebody always has a piece of their tail missing. They take turns deciding who they’ll play with for the day and who they’ll pick on. I would get at least a couple more so the same one isn’t getting picked on all the time. I’ve had mine over a year and they do fine. Just picky at times. I tell everyone they are worse than female bettas together. Don’t stress out. They’ll do fine!

R H

How big is your tank? guppies can be territorial. better in bigger numbers depending on tank size.

if you have only 3, then 2 could pick on one,

Handelma

I have a 10 gallon tank with 1 nerite, 2 endlers, and 2 guppies. I'm not sure if the one is just an extremely aggressive fish. He is constantly chasing the other and won't stop for more than 30 seconds.

R H

more plants, hiding spots?

Handelma

R H said:
more plants, hiding spots?
Here is my tank. There are hiding spots but the problem is the guppy just follows the other one through them.

FishWithTim

I have.one that used to be that way, I put an extra divider in my female betta divided tank and isolated him for a month and a half and now he doesn't do anything.

Fshloover

Mabey you could get a female to displace the aggression and also it would allow the guppy’s to display their colors better

DeadlySin

Yes it's a male guppy.

richiep

As mentioned get a few females that should calm things down, don't worry about the fry as it's natural for other fish to eat them

Thunder_o_b

I keep only male guppies as I do not want to be over run with babies...I have enough issues with all the mystery snails.

As for chasing... This is as delicately as I can put it. As Mick said "I can't get no satisfaction"

emeraldking

To me it sounds more like a dominance thing between these males. That can happen!
Dominance can occur if you keep both genders in one tank but also with a one gender tank.

endlercollector

I would move the guy who is being picked on to another tank because it's just not going to change. Aggressive personalities will chase submissive ones forever if they don't have anything better to do, and you'd have to have at least 3x as many females as males to get things evened out, which you obviously don't want to do.

AJE

Male, and about the nipping, my guppies who were both males did that so, I punished the aggressor by putting him in an ice cream container for a couple days, left that floating in the tank so it would stay at tank temperature and the aggression was gone

Thatgirlinblack

To the Op, I notice everyone is telling you that you've got a male, but no one is telling you how to tell!!

Livebearers in my opinion are one of the easiest fish species to sex. Simply take a gander at their analfin. If it's a female, it'll look like any other fin. If it's a male, it will look more pointy and thin, the fin has actually been fused into a gonopodium, a tube used to deposit sperm.
Once you know where to look, it's super duper easy to tell!!

emeraldking

Thatgirlinblack said:
To the Op, I notice everyone is telling you that you've got a male, but no one is telling you how to tell!!

Livebearers in my opinion are one of the easiest fish species to sex. Simply take a gander at their analfin. If it's a female, it'll look like any other fin. If it's a male, it will look more pointy and thin, the fin has actually been fused into a gonopodium, a tube used to deposit sperm.
Once you know where to look, it's super duper easy to tell!!
Hi... Well, to be honest... this story isn't complete. For this story is only true with ovoviviparous livebearers. When it comes to true livebearers which are the viviparous livebearers like e.g. goodeids, halfbeaks, etc.... ; males don't have a gonopodium but an andropodium.
I do get it that you're trying to refer that no one was explaining the difference between both genders but I guess that's because it's been explained quite often already on this forum. But it's a good thing that you've been explaining it again.
With ovoviviparous livebearers like e.g. guppies, swordtails, platies and mollies (there are more of course... ); males will develop a gonopodium at different ages. Which means early, average and late. When it comes to late males feminine features ar at hand (with the exception of a gravid spot unless it's a pseudo gravid spot) for a long time before the masculine features starts to show like e.g. a gonopodium. And to focus on the analfin, these kinds of late males will have the same V-shaped analfin as females have until the transformation of this analfin will take place. Some males grow up full sized with a undeveloped gonopodium. Which means that the analfin stays at a stage where the V-shape is still there but more pointy but won't become a fully developed gonopodium. Those are genuine males but unsuitable for breeding.

WinterSoldier.

Male totally male

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom