Can you help me identify what this is

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
It probably won't harm your fish but you probably want to try to get as much of it as you can out of there. This is another of those times where a turkey baster will be helpful. If you don't have one you may want to get one. They are very useful tools in the aquarium hobby.

Is this a fairly newly set up tank? Do you have any kind of driftwood in there? Strange things often grow on wood new to our tanks. Not harmful but definitely and eyesore.

OP
Leanne29

Leanne29

Reaction score
Hi thanks for your response it’s not a new set up I took it on from a neighbour as a full set up a few months ago with fish, plants etc. Only thing I’ve done is water changes and filter cleans since getting it. I will try and get as much as possible and hope it disappears. I’m new to the fish world learning as I’m going.

Feohw

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Did you leave the rockwool on the roots of the plants when you added them by any chance?

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
Leanne29 said:
Hi thanks for your response it’s not a new set up I took it on from a neighbour as a full set up a few months ago with fish, plants etc. Only thing I’ve done is water changes and filter cleans since getting it. I will try and get as much as possible and hope it disappears. I’m new to the fish world learning as I’m going.
We all have to start somewhere. It is great you were able to start with an already established tank.

One thing you may want to do is either clean off if possible or remove the leaves on the plant in the first photo. When they get to that point the plant is having to put too much energy into trying to heal the damaged leaves. Removing them allows the plant to put all its energy into growing healthy leaves.

OP
Leanne29

Leanne29

Reaction score
Wardonianfungus said:
It looks like tattered Marimos. Is it possible that one could have gotten torn up?
There wasn’t any in there. I honestly don’t know where it’s come from and so quickly I went out at about 3.30 came back about 6 and it was there, so so strange

OP
Leanne29

Leanne29

Reaction score
Wrench said:
Looks like ripped up dead marimo balls or that weird fiber stuff you get with a new plant from the store to hold the root bulb together.
I honestly don’t know I haven’t added any thing plant or fish wise to the tank since getting it a few months ago just been doing my regular water changes and filter cleans

OP
Leanne29

Leanne29

Reaction score
Feohw said:
Did you leave the rockwool on the roots of the plants when you added them by any chance?
I haven’t added any thing it’s just appeared. I took it on as a ready established tanks with fish and plants in February

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom