Can You Help Me Identify This Fish/snail Problems

Christian9145

So I have a couple of questions (don't know if this is the right place for them so sorry in advance if it is)

1. So I had some fish eggs attached to some plants I brought, unfortunately only one of them lived to a decent size as I noticed them far to late and was still setting up my tank at the time. I just wondering if anyone can identify him/her. I think he is a type of dwarf rainbowfish and if so I will need to get him some friends to school with.

2. I also have a bit of a snail problem and just wonder the best way to control them/get rid of them.

What I do at the moment is squash any small ones I see on the glass/plants (about 10-30 per day) and any big ones that are 5mm plus I throw outside (only see one of these every 4+weeks, I guess the rest are hiding in the substrate maybe). The trouble i'm having is after cutting back on feeding like 5-6 months ago, removing and shrimp pellets that don't get eaten within an hour, doing a bigger water change each week and making sure the glass is as algae free as possible, they are still spreading at the same rate and eating the plants.

The tank has a lot of shrimp that keep breeding which stops me doing a lot of the chemical solutions plus some neon tetra and the guy in the picture also no room for puffers or snail eating fish as its only a 14g tank, plus i'm a bit 50/50 on assassin snails as I hear they don't touch the small snails.

Thanks in advance for any help/info that is given

20190119_035457.jpg

nope

To get rid of the snails I wouldn’t crush them because that only adds to the bioload. There’s a good video on pest snails on YouTube that you could try. I’m pretty sure that feeding less food will decline the population so not sure why it’s not working for you. Maybe other people can help out

Eric S.

Not sure about the fish breed.
As far as the snails I agree with nopes idea. Less food will help to decline the population. You could also potentially get assassin snails and just wait for the other snails to grow a bit. I'm not too versed in snails so I'm not entirely confident either.

Christian9145

Yeah I thought about the increased bioload of crushing them but because i'm currently giving it such a big water 40-50% change with a gravel vac for what I should be 15-20% with how many fish/shrimp I have I didn't think it would add to much, but might start just trying to remove them as I see them instead. I forgot about that aquarium coop vid, unfortunately I can't do any of the fish options or copper suggestion but will have a look at the "medication" he said and maybe be a bit more vigilant when cleaning.

Thanks for the replys

Also I have other photos of the fish if the one I uploaded isn't clear

Draykana

Assassins are good. In my tank they eat any snail and even go digging for snails in the gravel. Mine have bred but they usually eat the offspring too.

I have to agree it looks like a rainbow fish.

Momgoose56

So I have a couple of questions (don't know if this is the right place for them so sorry in advance if it is)

1. So I had some fish eggs attached to some plants I brought, unfortunately only one of them lived to a decent size as I noticed them far to late and was still setting up my tank at the time. I just wondering if anyone can identify him/her. I think he is a type of dwarf rainbowfish and if so I will need to get him some friends to school with.

2. I also have a bit of a snail problem and just wonder the best way to control them/get rid of them.

What I do at the moment is squash any small ones I see on the glass/plants (about 10-30 per day) and any big ones that are 5mm plus I throw outside (only see one of these every 4+weeks, I guess the rest are hiding in the substrate maybe). The trouble i'm having is after cutting back on feeding like 5-6 months ago, removing and shrimp pellets that don't get eaten within an hour, doing a bigger water change each week and making sure the glass is as algae free as possible, they are still spreading at the same rate and eating the plants.

The tank has a lot of shrimp that keep breeding which stops me doing a lot of the chemical solutions plus some neon tetra and the guy in the picture also no room for puffers or snail eating fish as its only a 14g tank, plus i'm a bit 50/50 on assassin snails as I hear they don't touch the small snails.

Thanks in advance for any help/info that is given

20190119_035457.jpg
You might post the rainbowfish picture here: the rainbow pros might know what he is!
Rainbowfish - Aquarium Fish Forum

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
TwiTch18
Replies
Views
Sarahjack99
Replies
Views
Noald
Replies