Can you help me identify my lovely snails?

1. Gingerbaby9 Initiate Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The reason I am asking is bc they appear to be live bearers since I found a new snail the other day in my tank 1/4 the size of the others and I know I didn't buy him, so after close inspection I also found a teeniny snail about 4mm in size also. I know I didn't buy him. The store I got them at had them labeled as mystery snails, and online I thought I had figured them to be apple snails bc they are growing so rapidly! However I cannot find any info on them being live bearing. I'm so confused and I know there weren't ever eggs. Please help if you can, it's driving me crazy lol!

2. superbutterfly12 Well Known Member Member

They look like mysteries to me but the baby snails you describe are most likely bladder snails

3. Airth Member Member

In agreement with super butterfly that the baby snails you're seeing are most likely an assortment of pond/ "pest" snail. They most often come in on plants but it's possible that there were eggs laid on the shells of your mysteries and that's how they got there.

4. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

Agreed. Those are mystery snails imo, and no way you could easily miss an egg clutch. They're about the size of blackberries. Can you get a pic of the babies?

5. Gingerbaby9 Initiate Member

Hmm, I'll have to read about them too bc they are here to stay. Thanks for the replies!

6. Gingerbaby9 Initiate Member

Here is a pic of the larger of the two new snails. He doesn't would look like my mystery snails...[​IMG]

The smaller one is more elusive.

[​IMG]

7. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

That one is a nerite, not a pest snail, and eggs will not hatch in fresh water. It may lay eggs around on things if it's female, but you won't be overrun with snails from that one. About the same care as mysteries, though usually less work. Grats on the free snail!

8. superbutterfly12 Well Known Member Member

Nice! Nerites are hardy! Found one in a bag of gently used tank ornaments, had been out of the tank for 4 days. I guess the damp tank water was enough. He's was super active once i dropped him in a tank though like he was excited to have water again.