Can You Help Me Id What Type Of Betta I Have Here?

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by MrsMontoya, Jun 21, 2018.

1. MrsMontoya

MrsMontoyaValued MemberMember

I asked my lps for a blue female crowntail...I am not well versed in betta knowledge. When I go to pick her up she didnt have any of the fringe that is the basis of the crowntail...she also was very young and so I just assumed she would grow those little fringy tips...now I am not so convinced. I think she is something else!

2. FishFor2018

FishFor2018Well Known MemberMember

Nope you have crowntail! Females don’t have as much POP In there fins as males do. I’d say her fins will get a little more “pokey” but not by that much. She is beautiful though!

3. OP
    OP
    MrsMontoya

Awesome, I was worried there for a bit. I have another female that is smaller but much more "pokey" as you put it. It is her tail fin that is making me wonder. There is almost no fringe on it. Is she perhaps just a larger specimen than my other crowntail female? Will she still grow more in the tail?

4. FishFor2018

FishFor2018Well Known MemberMember

She definitely will grow more “tail” she could very well be a larger specimen but it’s hard to tell

5. WhatsUpGuys

WhatsUpGuysValued MemberMember

There’s a good chance she might be a combtail as well. A lot of pet store crowntails have halfmoon mixed into them because people like big flowing fins.

Don’t worry though, she’ll probably grow into her spikes. I had a tiny girl that grew into an absolute monster.

6. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus TankFishlore VIPMember

I bought a Petco baby betta nd she turned out to have these fins.

Not too pointy yet, but she still has room to grow.

Attached Files:

7. OP
    OP
    MrsMontoya

Its rather funny, almost as soon as I posted this she has definitely been growing. In the picture she doesnt have anything other than small pokey nubs at the ends but now I can see her tips growing out a bit.
    I also thought perhaps she was a combtail as well. She does seem VERY large compared to my other very "pokey" female. The other has double double rays so it definitely makes for a large contrast.
    Thanks for your personal input! I am thinking she will probably wnd up being one of these "monsters" you speak of

8. WhatsUpGuys

I dug through my archives to look for a few pictures. The first one is when I first got her about a year ago, the other two are recent ones. I didn’t realize until now, but there’s definitely a huge difference. Lol she’s massive, about 50% larger than all my other girls XD

IMG_0147.jpg
    IMG_1561.jpgIMG_1562.jpg

9. OP
    OP
    MrsMontoya

WOW. That is insane!! What a beauty!! I sure hope my little blue grows out that much! What do you feed her?

10. WhatsUpGuys

Honestly, she’s a greedy little thing. She’ll eat anything I put in front of her (she’s even bitten me a couple of times lol).

I used to give her mainly pellets, flakes, bloodworms and brine shrimp, but nowadays I give her my homemade gel food. She’s old and it’s a lot easier on her digestive system.

I make the gel food out of raw shrimp and fish, garlic, algae wafers, shrimp pellets, and cooked spinach (plus a bit of turmeric and paprika for color enhancement). All my fish go crazy for it and even my crawfish loves it lol.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice