Attachments

• 63b21909c19f2d46b71836f4aa2f57ce.0.jpg
    63b21909c19f2d46b71836f4aa2f57ce.0.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 17
  • d59213d626b8ba968f687ba00fced8f3.0.jpg
    d59213d626b8ba968f687ba00fced8f3.0.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 17

BlueRaccoon

Thank you both! Someone is giving me these clippings from their plants. Should I quarantine them or anything? And if so, what should that look like?

ProudPapa

Thank you both! Someone is giving me these clippings from their plants. Should I quarantine them or anything? And if so, what should that look like?

The only reason I can think of to quarantine them would be if you're concerned about snails hitchhiking on the plates. If that's the case you can treat them, or just put them in a container of water with some light and watch them for a while.

BlueRaccoon

The only reason I can think of to quarantine them would be if you're concerned about snails hitchhiking on the plates. If that's the case you can treat them, or just put them in a container of water with some light and watch them for a while.
Ok, good to know. I think they are probably fine, I just didn't know if I had to work about disease for anything. Thanks for the help!

SamMe

Have you done any research on your new plant yet? It's really an interesting one! It can be planted in the substrate, used as a carpet plant or as a floating plant. I have it in 2 of my aquariums. Planted in one and floating in another. They came from the same plant, but look so different. I think you'll enjoy it. :)

BlueRaccoon

Have you done any research on your new plant yet? It's really an interesting one! It can be planted in the substrate, used as a carpet plant or as a floating plant. I have it in 2 of my aquariums. Planted in one and floating in another. They came from the same plant, but look so different. I think you'll enjoy it. :)
I have read a little bit about it! I decided to take it because I knew they were easy and hardy. I like the idea of floating it! However, I'm afraid it will block the light from my other plants. I don't have strong lighting. Would I simply let a piece float?

ProudPapa

I have read a little bit about it! I decided to take it because I knew they were easy and hardy. I like the idea of floating it! However, I'm afraid it will block the light from my other plants.

Water wisteria isn't likely to get dense enough to cause problems.

Would I simply let a piece float?

Yes.

BlueRaccoon

Water wisteria isn't likely to get dense enough to cause problems.

Yes.
Thank! I'm excited about this. I really appreciate everyone's help!

Flyfisha

Hydrophila difformis) As a floating plant I have seen it eventually growing 12 inches high out of the water and covering all of the surface as it divides into multiple floating bunches 14 or so inches in diameter. A great plant but difficult to grow as a floater when you have lids. Great to use in a large open topped sump. Or just keep tossing the bigger plants out as it grows little baby plants all the time.

As far a quarantining plants.
From first hand experience it is possible to transfer the ich parasite when getting plants from tanks that have had fish.

No big deal if you have ich medication on hand 365 days a year like we all should and know what you are looking at when you see it.

BlueRaccoon If you have any doubts about the clippings you are being given coming from a tank that might have ich you just float the clippings in a container/ bucket without fish for 3 weeks and the ich dies without a host.

BlueRaccoon

Hydrophila difformis) As a floating plant I have seen it eventually growing 12 inches high out of the water and covering all of the surface as it divides into multiple floating bunches 14 or so inches in diameter. A great plant but difficult to grow as a floater when you have lids. Great to use in a large open topped sump. Or just keep tossing the bigger plants out as it grows little baby plants all the time.

As far a quarantining plants.
From first hand experience it is possible to transfer the ich parasite when getting plants from tanks that have had fish.

No big deal if you have ich medication on hand 365 days a year like we all should and know what you are looking at when you see it.

BlueRaccoon If you have any doubts about the clippings you are being given coming from a tank that might have ich you just float the clippings in a container/ bucket without fish for 3 weeks and the ich dies without a host.
Thanks! I may still float it and just keep it trimmed. I wonder if a peroxide dip would kill ick....

Flyfisha

I doubt peroxide would kill ich? I don’t know as I have never tried it on the parasites.

I have killed frogbit from auction with 3% H2O2

chromedome52

Hygrophila difformis, Wisteria, is often confused with Ceratopteris thalichtroides, Water Sprite, as the two flourish under the same conditions, both will grow floating or rooted, and the leaves have a similar shape. However, Wisteria is a stem plant. The leaves grow in whorls around a central stem, and if it grows out of the water it can flower. Water Sprite is a fern and does not flower. The leaves grow from a central crown, and it does not have a stem. Water sprite will often have small plantlets growing in the notches of large leaves; Water Wisteria does not, but it can be grown from clippings.

OP's plant has a stem, and is clearly Hygrophila difformis, Water Wisteria.

BlueRaccoon

Hygrophila difformis, Wisteria, is often confused with Ceratopteris thalichtroides, Water Sprite, as the two flourish under the same conditions, both will grow floating or rooted, and the leaves have a similar shape. However, Wisteria is a stem plant. The leaves grow in whorls around a central stem, and if it grows out of the water it can flower. Water Sprite is a fern and does not flower. The leaves grow from a central crown, and it does not have a stem. Water sprite will often have small plantlets growing in the notches of large leaves; Water Wisteria does not, but it can be grown from clippings.

Thank you! It will be cool to have it flower. I'm very excited about this plant

ProudPapa

I agree that they are commonly confused. I explain it like this: Water wisteria grows somewhat like a tree. Water sprite grows like a shrub.

Random Great Thread!

New Plant Threads

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom