Can you help identify these? Thank you in advance!

Sarahjack99

Hello,
Apologies for the rough post, this is my first one! I recently finished cycling a new tank and was about to place a mystery snail and young betta in, however I noticed tiny white specs on the aquarium glass. I was able to get a picture below but they are so microscopic it’s tough to tell what features they have to identify them. They seem to mostly be on the aquarium glass. I was unsure what they were and if they would be harmful to the snail or betta? I was hoping the knowledgeable people of this forum could help me identify them as my local fish store was unsure, they suggested maybe trying PraziPro?

- 10 gallon tank
- Just completed a fishless cycle with ammonia, cycled for about 6 weeks
- 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 10 nitrate
- Has both a filter and heater, temp is about 78
- No fish or snails in the tank so far (but would like to add 1 betta, 1 mystery snail soon) tank currently has a large smooth rock, moss, and anubias from Buce Plant and Glass Aqua.

Many Thanks!

Attachments

• 855139AB-BB09-43B0-AC64-D77ACABA4734.jpeg
    855139AB-BB09-43B0-AC64-D77ACABA4734.jpeg
    74.4 KB · Views: 26

JLAquatics

Hello,
Apologies for the rough post, this is my first one! I recently finished cycling a new tank and was about to place a mystery snail and young betta in, however I noticed tiny white specs on the aquarium glass. I was able to get a picture below but they are so microscopic it’s tough to tell what features they have to identify them. They seem to mostly be on the aquarium glass. I was unsure what they were and if they would be harmful to the snail or betta? I was hoping the knowledgeable people of this forum could help me identify them as my local fish store was unsure, they suggested maybe trying PraziPro?

- 10 gallon tank
- Just completed a fishless cycle with ammonia, cycled for about 6 weeks
- 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 10 nitrate
- Has both a filter and heater, temp is about 78
- No fish or snails in the tank so far (but would like to add 1 betta, 1 mystery snail soon) tank currently has a large smooth rock, moss, and anubias from Buce Plant and Glass Aqua.

Many Thanks!
Yeah, I agree with what was said above. They are detritus worms. Completely harmless and present in almost all freshwater aquaria. They make great snacks to small fish and are beneficial in your tank by consuming excess detritus and mulm and makes your tank cleaner for your livestock, hence the name detritus worms. Don't worry about getting rid of these, their population will balance out once you add your livestock in your tank.

Upvote 0

Sarahjack99

Thank you for your help everyone!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Christen26
Replies
Views
coppur
Replies