Can you have a nudibranch in a SW tank?

Discussion in 'Saltwater Aquarium Stocking' started by kinezumi89, Dec 11, 2012.

1. kinezumi89

kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

Hi guys,

Can you have nudibranchs? I wouldn't think that would be okay for some reason. Why haven't I heard about more people having them? They're so colorful!

2. J

JessiNoel21 Well Known Member Member

You can if you have a FO or FOWLR tank and don't plan on getting a anemone cuz it can kill the anemone. Plus they are short lived so not a lot of people have them. Plus you need to wear gloves to handle cuz some have toxics on their body that can iterate your skin.

3. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

Thanks Jessi :)

4. J

JessiNoel21 Well Known Member Member

Yw Kinez I was looking into getting one until I did reasearch on them cuz my LFS has them in there FOWLR show tank and I loved the look and price tag mine sell them for $12

5. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

From memory, don't nudi's (not sea slugs) have an exclusive diet of corals?

It's sponges and tunicates primarily, but I know they are not recommended in most reef setups. Which is ironic given that they source most of their food from reef life.

6. Y

Yeoy Well Known Member Member

Maybe in such a small environment they will damage your reef too much?

7. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Small or large (captive) environment they're not recommended in a reef.

Many say FO/FOWLR is ok, and that's where the irony lays - to feed them, many need elements of a reef, which means, your FO/FOWLR becomes a Reef.

However, I do a know a number of local marine society members who have nudibranch setups. I think it lies in choosing the right species, and creating a species only setup.

PS - for definition, a Reef is a FOWLR that has coral or anemones. Thus if a FOWLR had an anemone, then it's a Reef (sorry Jessi), similarly, one coral or sponge redefines the FOWLR as a Reef..... do we see the irony/dilemna?

EDIT: for 'Zumi - yes you can have nudi's in SW, but you need to understand their diet and the destruction they may cause ;)

8. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

Thanks Ryan :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice