Can you guarantee if your pregnant guppy will have more males or females?

rbelchak1988

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Is there a way to control the sex of the off spring?

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
As far as I know, no there isn't. The only animals I can think of offhand whose sex can be controlled are egglayers like alligators.

But I've learned that you can't guarantee anything in life except death.

-Lisa

rbelchak1988

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I thought I heard or read something that said that colder water would result in more males and warmer ment more females but I am not sure.

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Not that I know of, and I've bred thousands!

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I'm with Nick. As far as birth is concerned, there are no guarantees.

Ken

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
for livebearers there is a lot of debate, myth, and conjecture when it comes to this. If reselling, then one would obviously want to have a result of mostly males, since they are much more colorful and sell for more.

I'm afraid that the only way I know to get an all male group is through culling and/or segregation after birth.

ariolex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
This might help to the confusion

I read a few years ago an article that related guppies offspring X:Y ratio based on ph...i'll try to find it

rbelchak1988

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well I need to figure out something, I had my guppies in a 20 gallon tank and they gave me tons of males and I was selling them like crazy now I got them in a 55 gallon tank and now they are giving me all females which sucks because I can't sell them. If I get another batch of females my black ghost is getting a good dinner.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Well, I wouldn't expect that tank size has anything to do with gender of offspring.

I think using the guppies as feeders is fine. You got pics of your BGK?

rbelchak1988

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Heres the best I can do I need to find a way to get good fish pictures, I am cross breeding guppys and endlers and I have gotten some AMAZING color patterns, I should have gotten some pictures.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Why crossbreed guppies and endlers? Wild endlers are almost certainly extinct and pure endlers are very difficult to find now. Crossbreeding will probably be the death of the pure endler, which is sad. If it weren't for man, these fish would still be around. There are plenty of beautiful guppies to breed to create new strains, there's no need to further dilute the endler genetics.

-Lisa

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It's increasingly difficult to even find a pure endler strain as it is. Many guppys that I have and have had look to have some endler crossbreeding. I'm not really for or against it, since there will always be a section of breeders who want the pure strains over crossbreeds. If you really think about it, the livebearers we see today for the most part are crossbred and selectively bred to make the flashy color patterns that we know and love.

So really, it's a catch-22. I would be more against destruction and overharvesting as being the reason for a pure strain extinction rather than selective and crossbreeding efforts done in aquaria.

rbelchak1988

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
To maybe calm some of you down I am using strictly MALE endlers and guppy females, and they are being sold as cross breeds. So by not using female endlers I don't feel that I am sabotaging the pure endler line. The reason I cross them like I do is my males end up with the endler colors with the guppy size. My favorite fish to date was a large sized guppy that had the endler colors but was completely rainbowed no gray areas and the tail was black and white zebra striped but the white almost glistened. Also around here there isn't much available for different colors of guppies and endlers are rare so I enjoy cross breading the fish.

And to Meenu going to the bigger tank I am guessing the chemical parameters are different than in the smaller tank thus the change in offspring not sure but just a guess.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
rbelchak1988 said:
And to Meenu going to the bigger tank I am guessing the chemical parameters are different than in the smaller tank thus the change in offspring not sure but just a guess.
Interesting theory

And on the Endler/guppy thing... lots of people here feel really strongly about the issue. Just saying, so you're prepared in case you get more responses.

rbelchak1988

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ya I've heard about the issue before and that's partially why I use strictly male endlers and I make sure 100% it is known and they are marked as crossbreeds. The shop I sell them to are strong in the belief that you shouldn't screw up the endler line and he has no issue as long as I am not using endler females.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Okay, I think I'm just being dense here.... but what difference does it make if the endler is a male or female? The genes get passed on either way.

matt6765

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Meenu said:
Okay, I think I'm just being dense here.... but what difference does it make if the endler is a male or female? The genes get passed on either way.
Agreed and disagreed. To start this I am for the endlers being pure bred on this one. However guppies and endlers store sperm which allows them to have batches of fry with mixed fathers. If you only use male endlers then the guppies sperm can not get into the females and spoil the purebred. But this is sort of the same thing with the males and spreading the genes so I am sort of neutral on this argument.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I guess I just don't understand what you guys mean. So if a female guppy stores male endler sperm, that is not "spoiling the purebred"?

I'm not even trying to be argumentative here - I really just don't understand the theory. ???

matt6765

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Meenu said:
I guess I just don't understand what you guys mean. So if a female guppy stores male endler sperm, that is not "spoiling the purebred"?

I'm not even trying to be argumentative here - I really just don't understand the theory. ???
neither do I. I am just truing to support both sides of the argument

matt6765

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
But some people think that if the guppy sperm gets into the endler it loses its purebreedness. I don't know if this is true or not though.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads