Can you give too much light & filtration

waterlover

Reaction score
I started with a 30 gal L, had that for about 3 weeks with the gold barbs and the convicts. My neighbor sold me her 5 ft long by almost 3 ft deep and 2 ft at the widest part of the bow. My calculations are close to 80 gals of water. I have two Penguin 350 filters with 6-carbon filters in them. My water suddenly became a greenish color and cloudy. Have done 3 water changes about 14-15 gals over the past three weeks. I moved the water, the gravel and the fish from the 30 L to the Bow Front, replaced the bio wheels and filter cartridges in her filter that I bought...and then added a second one with carbon cartridges plus extra carbon in the cages that came with the filter. I have been testing my water with a master kit...even with this many fish I am showing 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites. It's like it's tap water, but green. The fish are swimming around fine and eating/growing like crazy. They were all only about an inch long 6 weeks ago. The Zebras are all close to 3" and the convicts are between 3-4"...even the barbs have gone from about 3/4-1 to about 2 1/2". So they all seem healthy, but the water looks gross...I seem to remember this happening with my 55 gal I had about 10 years ago, and it just cleared up all of a sudden with out me doing anything...will this most likely occur again? I figured I am just worrying.

Side note: the 30 L never did get cloudy the 3 weeks it was set up, and the bow only became cloudy with in the last 3 days...it has been operating 3 weeks as well.

Thanks in advance!!!

dazzler

Valued Member
Reaction score
good evening, people here have alot of there lighting systems on 5 on 2 off 5 on. and also they have informed myself that 10x filtration is optimum i have a 250litre tank and run 2x 1200litres per hour filter giving me a total of 2400 litre filtered per hour.

i hoped this has helped a little. more informed people can give you more information

regards dazzler

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Just try cutting down on your lighting and see if this helps. I think the max amount of time your lights should be on is 10 hours if you are having an algae problem. Let us know if anything changes.

waterlover

Reaction score
I am now running two (2) Penguin Emporer 350's and a Magnum 350 for a rated total of 1050 gal/hr filtration on a 72 gallon bowfront tank. I finally made it the rest of the way through the N-cycle and the tank is crystal clear. Have only been running the lighting in the evening for about 6-7 hours and then about 10-13 hrs per day on the weekend. No more algae...yippee!!!!

Forgot to ask...trying to find out what kind of Cichlid this blue fish is? Any help? Thanks

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom