Can you free range lizards?

Discussion in 'Reptiles' started by smellslikechaos, Sep 15, 2016.

1. smellslikechaos

smellslikechaosValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +5
    Does anyone know how to keep anoles or other lizards without a cage? I watched a youtube video about it but am looking for more information or anyone else who has done this before. I am interested but not sure if it's a good idea

2. aliray

alirayFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +48
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I haven't heard of free ranging per say, but I know some people keep Iguanas as house pets with the run of the house, They would be the only ones that I would consider as they can get very tame. They also aren't toxic in their bite like monitors can be. Small lizzards would probably disappear. I have a yard full of Cuban brown anoles and some sort of gheckos that live outside and come out from behind the shutters mostley at night. As far as outside, I wouldn't let any lizard loose as they are fast and vulnerable to predators. You can walk some lizzards on leashes. I am looking forward to reading other responses as well. Alison

3. mirp448

mirp448Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +4
    Experience:
    5 years
    I don't really know much about doing it with smaller lizards like anoles, but I have a cageless water dragon who has free reign of my room (and other parts of the house occasionally when the cat is locked up). I wouldn't do it with smaller lizards because they can be more fragile (not to mention hard to find, lol) and it would be more difficult to "lizard-proof" the house and make sure there is nothing that they could climb into or could hurt them, as opposed to say, an iguana.
    But the basic things you need for any reptile would be heat, lighting, and humidity, so as long as you can keep the temp/humidity appropriate and provide enough access to UVB light and a place for them to bask you should be able to make free roaming work. F.ex the ambient temperature in my room is always like 80f and my dragon has a basking spot with a powersun full spectrum UVA/UVB/heat light and he has a fake tree that is kind of like his lil "bed"/home where he hangs out most so his basking spot is near that and he also has a humidifier right next to his tree, as well as a large water dish always available, and I mist the area with a spray bottle sometimes if the humidity drops.
    If you can keep up all the correct levels without an enclosure then I see no problem with free roaming as long as the room/area is safe for them, but if you're having trouble with it it's prob best to get an enclosure where you can, especially for smaller species

4. OP
    OP
    smellslikechaos

Ratings:
    +5
    Thank you that's very helpful. The thing I was wondering most about is what do you do about poop?

5. mirp448

mirp448Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +4
    Experience:
    5 years
    My dragon usually poops in his water dish so I can just dump that and clean it out pretty easily. It depends on the kind of lizard I guess, but some can be trained to go in a certain spot eventually. When I had iguanas our whole apartment was carpeted except for the kitchen and bathroom so they usually went poop in a specific spot on the kitchen tile so it was easier to clean up.
    If you see your lizard tend to poop in a certain spot you can try to put down newspaper/towels/etc to make it easier to clean up next time

6. texasfishkeepr01

texasfishkeepr01Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +25
    Experience:
    4 years
    I don't the laws where you live, but in Texas it's actually against the law NOT to kill brown anoles when you see them. They're invasive species that are killing off native lizards and insects/arachnids

7. superbutterfly12

superbutterfly12Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +8
    Experience:
    Just started
    That seems ridiculous...I mean how do you enforce that? You saw a lizard off to jail with you?

8. OP
    OP
    smellslikechaos

Ratings:
    +5
    I would think it's more like a suggestion not really a law because that would be ridiculous

9. aliray

alirayFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +48
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    The Cuban brown anoles are all over my area of Florida We have hundreds just in our yard alone. I love watching them live their little lizard lives. I really doubt that they could be eradicated . Alison