Can You Cycle Un-cycled Filter Media In A Cycled Tank?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Rack, Aug 5, 2017.

1. RackValued MemberMember

For a short amount of time? So let's say I have a cycled tank and bought a new tank, would putting the un-cycled/new filter media for the new tank in the cycled tank help it cycle faster ? Instead of doing a fishless cycle and wait a month for it to get it done.

2. BottomDweller

BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

It will still take just as long. Maybe very slightly shorter.

3. leelew32

leelew32New MemberMember

It has always been much quicker when I did it that way.

4. el337

el337Fishlore LegendMember

Depends on how much beneficial bacteria is in the cycled media and how long it's been cycled. For instance, if you're planning to add new media to a tank that's been cycled for a month with a betta and hoping the cycled media will support your 55g with cichlids, it won't work.

5. OP
    OP
    R

RackValued MemberMember

I mainly need it for a nursery raising shrimplets, it's a 2 gallon, my cycled tank is a 15 gallon with 4 platys and 1 guppy.

6. el337

Do you have any extra media you can take from the cycled tank? You wouldn't need much for a shrimp tank. You'd then have an instant cycle.

7. OP
    OP
    R

RackValued MemberMember

Aside from substrate, no. I'm more worried of uneaten food spiking the ammonia. Do red cherry shrimplets eat infusoria?

8. el337

Some substrate will help too, again not much BB needed for a shrimp tank.

I'm not sure if they'd eat that.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice