Can You Clean Old Tank Sand?

spike98

I'm switching my 10 gallon for a fluval flex 15 gallon. I was wondering if it would work to clean the old sand in my current 10 gallon to re-use? The sand has gotten alittle nasty from stuff getting under the first layer. Or am I better off buying new sand and cleaning that? I have shrimp so it may carry some stuff to help establish the tank better.

johnbirg

I'm switching my 10 gallon for a fluval flex 15 gallon. I was wondering if it would work to clean the old sand in my current 10 gallon to re-use? The sand has gotten alittle nasty from stuff getting under the first layer. Or am I better off buying new sand and cleaning that? I have shrimp so it may carry some stuff to help establish the tank better.
Hi, hope this will help. If you are able to remove the sand completely, place about 2 kg at a time into a 2 gallon bucket then use a nozzle on your hose to provide lots of agitation in the sand by pushing the nozzle into the sand until the water runs clear. You will not be able to get rid of some discolouration but it will be fine to re-use it. Keep about 1 kg of old sand and gently rinse it in some tank water as that will give the new tank a kick start with existing bacteria. I know that new sand will look nice but it will also discolor within a short period.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
TheWalkman
Replies
Views
Donovan Jones
Replies
Views
Marlene327
Replies