Can You Clean An Aquarium Lid In The Dishwasher

RookieTank

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I would not use any soap, just hot water an the water jets to clean it.

Anyone ever done this before?

Faytaya

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
RookieTank said:
I would not use any soap, just hot water an the water jets to clean it.

Anyone ever done this before?
The problem with that is you still have soap residuals in the wash tank, and those are gonna get on your tank equipment. Honestly, I'd boil the lid and then place it in a bleach solution for a few hours. Seachem PRIME will dechlorinate any residue on rinsing.

TheeLadyG

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yes it should be fine. It's just a lid. After that is done, rinse in a solution of hot water and vinegar, then give it another rinse with warm water. If I absolutely feel I have to clean something with a little soap (dawn dish soap), I rinse it a lot with vinegar and hot water.

slinger

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have a Dwarf Blue GouramI in one of my smaller tanks that is a spitter. He does this just to spite me, I'm sure. Anyways that leaves some TOUGH spots to clean off the underside of the glass lid. I use hot soapy water and gray 3M pads as they won't scratch the glass. I have done this for about 3 years now and never had an issue. Lots of hot water rinse after followed by a thorough drying with microfiber towel. YMMV.

TheWalkman

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Is it a plastic or glass lid?
And why do you feel the need to put it in the dishwasher?

Heron

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I just clean my lids in the shower. The water jets and an acrylic tank cleaning pad get it spotless

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree with what TheeLadyG said, except I don't think there is any reason to use vinegar unless you have hard water spot that you can get rid of

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
jdhef said:
I agree with what TheeLadyG said, except I don't think there is any reason to use vinegar unless you have hard water spot that you can get rid of
Will vinegar get the white spots off?

TheeLadyG

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
jdhef said:
Hard water spots are just mineral scale, largely calcium. Vinegar dissolves them very well! You might have to let it sit a bit bit it will work.

TheeLadyG

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Vinegar also acts as a natural grease cutter and can be used as a nice "final rinse" on stuff you want to put in with your fish, if you're concerned about soap residue.

kallililly1973

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
When my tanks had glass lids on them ( all lid free now ) I would run them under hot hot tap water and used an expired gift card for the tough stuff then finish em off with either a prefilter sponge or polyfill and they would look like new ( became too much work for 7 lids so I went topless :)

Z7What

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
0000 Steel Wool will work good too, all while not scratching the glass.

IT MUST BE 0000 Steel Wool

Wayne

grayjustin

Reaction score
No, you can not. My friend used to do it and his dishwasher broken in a year. The quality of this product is not convenient for automatic washers. But, if you want... you can try, may be your dishwasher will work with it. By the way, what kind of model do you have ? Mine is Bosch. I’m totally satisfied with it. What about you ? Where did you bought it? Because I’ve bought mine from a very nice company with a lot of useful products. I’m buying just from they ! This is amazing!

Owen1986

Reaction score
grayjustin said:
No, you can not. My friend used to do it and his dishwasher broken in a year. The quality of this product is not convenient for automatic washers. But, if you want... you can try, maybe your dishwasher will work with it. By the way, what kind of model do you have? Mine is Bosch. I’m totally satisfied with it. What about you? Where did you buy it? Because I’ve bought mine from a very nice company with a lot of useful products. I’m buying just from they! This is amazing!
Yeah, Bosch is a very longlasting dishwasher brand so I would totally recommend it.

Insomniaman

Reaction score
Owen1986 said:
Yeah, Bosch is a very longlasting dishwasher brand so I would totally recommend it.
Yeas, it really is, My friend has a Bosch dishwasher for more than 10 years!

New Threads