Can water lettuce live with other plants?

blackwater

So I have some dwarf water lettuce, jungle vals, and anubias, along with accidental duckweed. Can a fully covered mat of water lettuce live well with vallisneria if at the highest light setting? The tank is a fluval 15 gal. I really want a cool water lettuce mat on the top but I'm afraid that the vallisneria will die out. Any advice will be appreciated!

PeterFishKeepin

yes it can, but if it over grows collect some and put it in a tub of tank water change water or dispose of it, or add to another tank or try see if a LFS will take for store credit?

blackwater

what i want is a full surface of water lettuce and green vals. I will still trim the roots.
Is that ok?

chromedome52

You need a low light plant under the surface mat. Val requires strong light, so I think you are correct that it would die out. I would not recommend any surface plants above the Val.

"Dwarf" Water Lettuce is actually just stunted baby Water Lettuce plants. Put some in a pond and it will grow full size. Trim the roots and it will die out.

TClare

I have had tanks with water lettuce and vals together , in fact all my tanks have both, but in one particularly the two together practically completely cover the surface and both healthy. I think as the Vallisneria leaves grow long and float on the surface they are able to get enough light.

blackwater

yea i think thats what happened to me too because the vals are covering the surface i havent trimmed them at all :p

chromedome52

If the Vals are already at the surface, they would likely be competing with the Water Lettuce for light and surface area anyway, and I could see them surviving under those conditions. However, if you get a full cover of Water Lettuce before the Vals can put leaves on the surface, the Vals will suffer.

JustAFishServant

I've had vals with salvinia before without issue. I thought you should be alright. If the val suffers a light on the side of the tank or the tank sitting on the windowsill/next to a window should work.

Hope this helps. Good luck ;)

blackwater

nah rn the val is flwoing in grace while I only have 3 fully grown water lettuce. Thank you all for the helpful info!

Mudminnow

Vallisnerias are adaptable plants, so they may survive being shaded...at least a bit. Still, they will be much happier with more light.

Personally, I've done a fair bit of work removing water lettuce and water hyacinth from waterways in Florida. These plants can shade underwater plants where they pile up. The vals mostly like to grow in clear, moving water often where they get full sun for at least part of the day. They seem to like to grow where the water is fastest, giving way to the stem plants where the water slows down. Although I do see them growing in ponds from time to time. Anyway, all that to say, I don't see vals growing under water lettuce in the wild.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Coradee
Replies
Views
Sheena-Phx
Replies
Views
California L33
Replies
Views