Can Vita Chem expire? Question

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by bettaloulou, Apr 15, 2010.

1. bettaloulouValued MemberMember

I was happy to find some at my LFS, but all of the bottles were dirty and dusty and seemed to have been sitting for a long time. I chose the one that looked the cleanest and had the most recent packaging, (black label, yellow sticker) but I cant find an expiration date. When I opened the bottle, the sides were all stained brown and kindof merky looking, is this normal? The color of the vitamin stuff itself seems to be a tea color light brown.

Also, you cant overdose on this stuff right? It says 2 drops per gallon, but at this point im only treating for about 1/4 of a gallon so i was just going to use 1 drop...

They had garlic guard too! My little guy seems to like it better than the juice from a crushed garlic clove, he gobbled up his soaked pellets

Do either of them need to be refrigerated?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2010
  2. TigerfishyWell Known MemberMember

I don't refrigerate either. I'm afraid I'm at work just now so cannot check my bottle, but I would imagine they do have expiry dates. Don't think you can overdose, especially with just one drop, don't worry about that.

Dose for the whole tank, your aquarium info says it's 5 gal right?

EDIT: It's meant to be brown on the inside, looks awful but mine's does that too lol!

Last edited: Apr 16, 2010
  3. AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning. I have my bottle in front of me (see link above) and I can't find an expiration date anywhere on the bottle. It doesn't mention that it needs refrigeration.

Ken

I've sent an email to Boyd Enterprises asking about expiration dates.
    Ken

4. bettaloulouValued MemberMember

Thanks!

Tigerfishy, Im only dosing for the small amount right now, becasue my tank is still cycling, I have my betta in one of those hanging holders on the inside of the tank just to keep his temperature stable.

The good news is my nitrites are finally down to 1-2 ppm in the 5 gallon, so its almost finished cycling! I might be able to get him into his permanent home this weekend! So excited! Now ill just have to contend with the algae that started growing when my nitrites were sky high...

EDIT: Awww look, I graduated to a fish bum lol

5. TigerfishyWell Known MemberMember

Haha congrats on your graduation. Keep an eye on that tank, it's coming along well now! Wait for the nitrates, wait a bit more for ammonia and nitrites to disappear, then water change and add fish, isn't that the best bit lol?!! You're so close, good luck and don't try to rush it, your betta will thank you more for it.

Hopefully Boyd's get back to Ken soon, you have me intrigued now!

6. AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning,

This is the response I received from my email:
    Contact Boyd Enterprises for the expiration date information.

305.651.2496 (I assume that is their phone #, Ken)

They can also be reached online here:

Petmountain.com Customer Service

Please note that PetMountain is also one of our advertisers listed close to the top
    of this screen by Online Aquarium and Fish Stores.

Ken

7. bettaloulouValued MemberMember

Thanks Ken,

I guess I just give them my lot number and they give me the expiration date?

If so, I wonder why they dont just put it on the bottle?

Tigerfishy, yeah i may have jumped the gun a little about this weekend, but i def think it will be ready soon! I havent reallly been updating my info, but the ammonia gets back to zero pretty quickly after I add more ammonia which im still doing every day/other day. For a while the nitrites were so high i couldnt even get an accurate reading, so im happy they are down now so i know we are almost there! Cant wait!

EDIT: Just tested my nitrites and they are zero! WOO HOOOOO! Im going to add some more ammonia tonight, and wait till the levels get back down to zero just to make sure, then Ill do a water change YAY!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2010
  8. TigerfishyWell Known MemberMember

Congrats! You will have been waiting for this day for ages, but now it's all done! (I cheat. I run a spare filter on one of my tanks so when I need to set up my quarantine tank or get a new one, I have an instant cycle, just a tip for future that will save a few weeks time! ;))