Can U Help Me On My Aquascaping?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Aquascaping' started by Roger121, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Roger121

Roger121Valued MemberMember

Hi, I'm new here, some months ago i started a aquasping low cost made to low prices or DIY things, well i still working on it , i put all my fishtank wisdom on this aquascaping, my idea was making something like a living tree`s branch putting emerged plants as a branch with leaders , right now i only have one emerged plant so i waiting to see how grows and if i have some problem before buying a lot of emerged plants and kill them coz don't work XD, WELL now 8 months later making the plans im not satisfy about the substrate i choose , may if i make a layer of silica sand can see it more "like a high cost aquascaping" xd IDK guys can u help me giving me ur opinion? if u have some other thing to say about my fishtank i will be grateful.
    attaching my fish tank photo

Attached Files:

2. r5n8xaw00

r5n8xaw00Well Known MemberMember

It looks nice.
    If you are doing this all for the sake of having the big limb, as your main aquaplaning theme then you could have, or do have problems arising from selecting something found around where you live. Wild wood leaches into your tank water, causing it to cloud and or turn brown.
    Also you could have problem arising from leaving your tank open all the time.
    Others do it, but there are risks to a tank being open all the time.

3. candiedragon

candiedragonWell Known MemberMember

Try looking up YouTube videos from George Farmer. He has some great low cost aquascaping videos that could help give you some pointers and inspiration.

I do have an opinion about one thing for your scape but please bear in mind that what you like is way more important than what me or anyone else likes. So if you like it, please feel free to ignore my input here! I personally feel like the base of the branch should move to the right by about a third of the tank's length. I feel like it would be a much more pleasing focal area to the human eye.

Personally, I'd switch out the gravel to something else, either a fine gravel or large grained sand that wont compact as to promote healthy root growth for your plants. Although bear in mind that changing out the substrate could disturb the tank cycle as some beneficial bacteria establishes in the substrate. So you may want to take a little gravel out at a time, or perhaps place your fish into another cycled tank temporarily until you're sure that the tank remains balanced.

Also note that should you ever consider a plant substrate that some of them may increase your pH, I realize that eco complete does this. You may want to look at shrimp-safe ones in that case.

4. Katie13

Katie13Fishlore VIPMember

5. Momgoose56

Momgoose56Well Known MemberMember

6. OP
    OP
    Roger121

hi yall, thanx for the answers, well i will use silica sand my plan is mix my ugly sustrate with silica sand to dont speand so much money coz that is da challange , i get some problems by the mango wood, da first guy on this forum was rigth xd, i did not know da tannins are toxics for da shrimps or may the ph change kill them , it i killed 10 shrimps,I still having 4. a step back. i will upload a photo when i get da sand and fix my wood by da way.

PD. that guy gorge farmer , is pretty nice doing aquascaping xd

7. Silister Trench

Silister TrenchWell Known MemberMember

Most likely it wasn't tannins or a pH fluctuation that killed your shrimp, but either an acclimation issue or a different perimeter such as nitrates or other, more lethal, spikes such as ammonia or nitrite.

I'd recommend removing your current substrate. Adding sand to it won't help plants at all, and will trap detritus and other organic waste in the substrate, and even if mixed with sand the gravel will rise to the top over time and the sand will settle, then compact, on the bottom. You'll still always see your gravel and won't easily be able to separate it from the new sand.

Your tank doesn't look at all like there is a high level of tannins. It looks more like a high dissolved organic load in your substrate and in need a water change. It also looks like you there is nutrient deficiency somewhere.

I personally would recommend a good planted tank substrate for a low tech tank, but if Cost forces you to go the sand route, you should then add root tabs (osmocote root tabs being the most cost effective) to make sure your plants are getting all nutrients.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
  8. OP
    OP
    Roger121

Hi man , well i explain you the situation that yesterday i put that wood on my fishtank and today in the morning when i turn on the ligth the water was like coca cola, im not proud about what happen but before to put dat wood all was fine , that tings on the sustrate really looks like organic stuff coz are "cover plants" that plants who full the sustrate (idk if im using the rigth term xd), and about the nutritive sustrate i add NPK and Fe into my water coz , i will be honest im 20 i cant cost that kind of sustrate xd.

9. Momgoose56

Roger121, Wood leaches tannins. True driftwood that's been in lakes or oceans for years does not. If you don't like how dark your water is, try to find some driftwood, boil it and use that or do more frequent water changes to lighten it up.
    Tannins won't kill fish or shrimp. Rivers, streams, ponds and lakes that have trees or plants around or upstream of them all have wood tannins in them from leaves, twigs and branches that fall in.
    You don't have to buy expensive sand for your tank. Where are you from? Brazil? Bermuda? West Indies? Beaches have sand, deserts have sand. If you have the time, you can collect sand yourself. Clean it and run a big magnet through it to remove any iron or metal particles that can oxidize and stain your tank and use that. I used sand from a dry arroyo behind my house for most of my aquariums until 6 years ago. Children's play sand is sold at most large hardware stores and swimming pool filter sand is fairly reasonably priced.
    I like that wood in your tank. And your water is not very dark at all. Sand would look nice in there too though.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
  10. Coptapia

CoptapiaWell Known MemberMember

11. OP
    OP
    Roger121

lol, that guy intuit my nationality only reading a couple of post xdxd, may my english is not to good as i expected xd ,nvm,i already bought silica sand from a local store and i cut my wood coz i think my original design was soo much pretentious so i will try make it more simple.

12. Momgoose56

Your English is great! I guessed where you were from based on the english words you didn't use! Silica sand will work fine. Post more pictures as you progress-we'd like to see them! Close-ups of your fish too if you can. Where exactly are you from anyway? I live in Southern Arizona USA-in the Beautiful Sonoran Desert near Northern Mexico. Picture is my backyard after a rare snowfall. The Giant Saguaro Cactus in the background is about 20 feet tall. They only grow here in this desert-nowhere else in the world! 20190222_091716.jpg

13. OP
    OP
    Roger121

lol a cactus in the snow xdxd, im from Honduras man my ppl is famous coz the wrong methods of immigration xd, well enough about countries, let's focus on aquariums please. :vv:

14. OP
    OP
    Roger121

wassup fish tank ppl, ok no, I already do the aquarium changes, I bought the silica sand, cut the wood, and I made a DIY LED light coz why not, now I have 80 lumens per liter, I think is pretty nice. I change my light coz my t5 is too old and was not lightning good and the algae started to steal NPK to my plants well, what you think? i think my aquascaping noob improve a bit xd. now i have to make grow my carpet plants and combat the algae is already dying coz the lights are doing his work.
    PD1. I already bought an emerged plant is from the family of the anubias "Araceae" is pretty beautiful i hope my adaptation period to make it partial submersible was right.
    PD2. I love u guys xd, ok no

Attached Files:

15. candiedragon

candiedragonWell Known MemberMember

I think it's starting to come together now that the plants are settling in. So far so good!

16. OP
    OP
    Roger121

wassup buddies, well I'm here again, the plants are growing pretty fast and i think looks pretty nice, i get some algae but, meh i think looks nice like in the jungle, lol well , thax for helping me before guys, now I have a little problem, a friend sold me some ludwigia senegalensis so yep , do u thing gonna survive in my jungle tank or gonna die?

Attached Files:

17. Momgoose56

Ooooh! That looks great! Good job!

18. WTFish?

WTFish?Well Known MemberMember

Lovely! Was this our most recent snowfall?
    Sorry OP, I will not highjack your thread further.