Can Tiger barbs be kept with arowana?

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I haven't kept these two species together personally, but I would recommend Tiger Barbs to be a species only tank. They can be aggressive fin nippers.

Let's see what other responses you receive.

Ken

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi Larry,
I know you're looking to stock you tank with something more than arowana [based on previous threads]

IMO - you have a couple of problems with aros
- They are large fish with large bio-load
- They have a big mouth, and can eat almost any common tropical species.

Sorry to digress the thread, but I think we should turn into "What can Larry keep with his Aro"

Because of this, it's hard to find suitable tank mates. You need to try and find peaceful, discrete bottom dwellers. Common plecos come to mind, but this gives you a bigger bio-load problem, especially when the pleco grows.

I'm not sure if there are cichlid species suitable, but they also come to mind as lower level dwellers and are probably large enough they wouldn't get eaten.

Other species I can think of would be Australian natives, or even maybe freshwater crays ???

swervo513

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks for your responses.

I would love to have a schooling fish that didnt match the color of the arowana.

In addition I am pretty sick of cichlids after keeping them for almost a lifetime.

I am willing to keep green severums because I never have before but some have a problem keeping those with arowana.

Any suggestions are appreciated and since I already have one large silver fish I do not want more silver fish in the same tank.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom