40 Gallon Tank Can this work?

Zeeth29

Posted this in stocking but doesn't look like ill be getting an answer there so lets try here. In a 40 breeder would a pair of red lizard whiptail catfish be able to live with,
10 Dwarf Neon Raindowfish, 12 Cory's and a single Bolivian Ram? Everything I've read says they are not the most active fish and I'm worried that they might get out-competed when it comes to food.

BigManAquatics

I think most of the stuff left on the bottom would get eaten by the 12 cories. So yeah, you have a valid concern. Think they would have a better chance without the cories.

Upvote 0

Mcasella

They are going to be more active at night, so making sure to drop food for them and the cories when the tank is dark will be important to keeping them healthy (because the rainbows will eat anything dropped in that they can see). If you are trying to breed the lizards you would want to go with a different setup because the rainbows and rams will eat any small creature they can catch (cories will eat eggs as well as slow moving, just hatched fry).

Overall, they shouldn't be picked on by the other fish, it is more keeping them well fed and healthy.

Upvote 0

Zeeth29

Thank you both. I'm not interested in breeding them, doubt I could if I tried. I have other tanks they could go in. A 29 filed with guppies and ramshorn snails or an empty 20. So maybe I'll try them in the 40 and if that doesn't work out just move them to one of those.

Upvote 0

Mcasella

Thank you both. I'm not interested in breeding them, doubt I could if I tried. I have other tanks they could go in. A 29 filed with guppies and ramshorn snails or an empty 20. So maybe I'll try them in the 40 and if that doesn't work out just move them to one of those.
Backup plans are always a good idea, hopefully your first plan will work out.

Upvote 0

Redshark1

My Red Lizard Whiptails have always searched avidly for food but they will be outcompeted for limited food by midwater fish.

Mine competed with Corydoras, Dwarf Frogs, African Glass Catfish and Neon Tetras adequately.

I would only kept one as I believe males are territorial.

Mine was attacked by a Bristlenose so maybe keep these species seperate.

Attachments

• 17.01.09 Whiptail in Cube Steve Joul (2) - Copy.JPG
    17.01.09 Whiptail in Cube Steve Joul (2) - Copy.JPG
    280.9 KB · Views: 10
Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
40 Gallon Tank Can This Work?
Replies
Views
Zeeth29
  • Question