Can This Work

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Jeka, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Jeka

Jeka New Member Member

so i'm thinking of breeding guppies in a 40g but the thing is I only have room for it in my garage but it gets pretty hot/cold depending on what time of year it is so will this affect the fish or will I be fine

2. david1978

david1978 Fishlore VIP Member

Depends what you mean by pretty hot/cold. In my garage they would freeze solid.

3. OP
    OP
    Jeka

Jeka New Member Member

cold can get to 18f and hot can get to 100f

4. david1978

david1978 Fishlore VIP Member

Guppies are tough but i don't think that tough.

5. phantom

phantom Valued Member Member

6. penguin02

penguin02 Well Known Member Member

A heater won't help if it gets 100 degrees. The safety of your fish should be the top priority, and they won't be safe in that environment.

7. lizcateyes

lizcateyes Valued Member Member

You could try to make it work, but you would have to have a heater to keep the temperatures from dropping too low when it is cold, and figure out a way to keep them from cooking when it gets too warm. Fry are more delicate than adult fish, and prefer warmer steady temperatures - the fry I have right now are in tanks between 78-80 degrees Fahrenheit.

8. Abby565

Abby565 Valued Member Member

That'd be a bit much. Maybe try a smaller tank in your house? 20 gallons is enough and they are pretty small. You could probably find somewhere to put it.

Or you could invest in a chiller and a high wattage heater or two.

9. Triston Wasmund

Triston Wasmund Well Known Member Member

When would it reach a temp of 100 degrees? Depends on a variety of things to figure out if you can put this tank in there

10. GuppyDazzle

GuppyDazzle Valued Member Member

I don't think there are any fish out there that could live through temperature swings like that.

11. FishMich

FishMich Valued Member Member

Well, you can be crazy like us. We have a plug in infrared heater for the garage for the winter. We also drilled through the garage wall and installed a portable air conditioner for the summer. We currently don’t have any fish in there, we just spend a lot of time in the garage. We keep it just a couple degrees cooler than the house (our house is super warm around 25 degrees celsius). If we were to keep fish in our garage I’d assume we’d just need a heater for the aquarium. But yeah, you’d need to regulate the temperature in your garage for any living thing.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice