Can This Work

Jake123

Valued Member
Reaction score
so i'm thinking of breeding guppies in a 40 gallon but the thing is I only have room for it in my garage but it gets pretty hot/cold depending on what time of year it is so will this affect the fish or will I be fine

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Depends what you mean by pretty hot/cold. In my garage they would freeze solid.

Jake123

Valued Member
Reaction score
david1978 said:
Depends what you mean by pretty hot/cold. In my garage they would freeze solid.
cold can get to 18f and hot can get to 100f

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Guppies are tough but i don't think that tough.

phantom

Valued Member
Reaction score

penguin02

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
A heater won't help if it gets 100 degrees. The safety of your fish should be the top priority, and they won't be safe in that environment.

lizcateyes

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Jeka said:
cold can get to 18f and hot can get to 100f
You could try to make it work, but you would have to have a heater to keep the temperatures from dropping too low when it is cold, and figure out a way to keep them from cooking when it gets too warm. Fry are more delicate than adult fish, and prefer warmer steady temperatures - the fry I have right now are in tanks between 78-80 degrees Fahrenheit.

Abby565

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
That'd be a bit much. Maybe try a smaller tank in your house? 20 gallons is enough and they are pretty small. You could probably find somewhere to put it.

Or you could invest in a chiller and a high wattage heater or two.

Triston Wasmund

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
When would it reach a temp of 100 degrees? Depends on a variety of things to figure out if you can put this tank in there

GuppyDazzle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't think there are any fish out there that could live through temperature swings like that.

FishMich

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well, you can be crazy like us. We have a plug in infrared heater for the garage for the winter. We also drilled through the garage wall and installed a portable air conditioner for the summer. We currently don’t have any fish in there, we just spend a lot of time in the garage. We keep it just a couple degrees cooler than the house (our house is super warm around 25 degrees celsius). If we were to keep fish in our garage I’d assume we’d just need a heater for the aquarium. But yeah, you’d need to regulate the temperature in your garage for any living thing.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom