Can This Work? Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Comet-Aurum, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Comet-Aurum

Comet-Aurum Valued Member Member

hello
    I am planning later on when I get some more corydoras and new gravel I will start to try to get a 10 gal tank with of course some fish and plants.
    but what type of plants do you all suggest?
    I was planning to try and get a few gourami's and some platys...
    but I don't want them to fight or worse
    will it work?

2. o

oldsalt777 Well Known Member Member

Hello Com...

A 10 gallon tank is too small for a foraging fish like a Corydoras and too small for medium sized, adult fish like Platys and Gouramis. They need at least 30 gallons of water. Larger tanks are much easier to manage than small ones. If you must keep a small tank, then get a small fish like most species of Tetra.

Old

3. sloughdog

sloughdog Well Known Member Member

Corys aren’t really recommended for a 10 gallon and neither are gourami.
    For the platys, 3 max and same gender otherwise you will be overrun with fry.

4. OP
    OP
    Comet-Aurum

meant to say I was gonna add gravel and cories to my 40 gal sorry

would some neon tetras or glofish work?
    I've been liking both but would they be at home?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2018
  5. Billy T

Billy T Valued Member Member

I may offend some but I have a powder blue DG and 3 guppies in a 10G and he seems to be ok for the most part. Sometimes when lights are on he will swim up and down against the glass which may be a sign of stress idk so was thinking about getting some black poster board to put along 3 sides of the tank. When it’s dim he doesn’t really do it and they don’t like bright lights I’ve seen

6. S

Safetortoise836 New Member Member

If you get a small species of gourami it should be fine with all those fish,i recomend fire mouth gourami or even gold gourami ,and all the other fish are passive.40 gallons should be more than enough room to give the fish their space and because of this the gourami shouldn't act aggressive just dont get to many

7. Mazeus

Mazeus Well Known Member Member

Sparkling gourami can work in a 10g (they are on the pinned 10g stocking list in the aquarium stocking section of the forum).

8. OP
    OP
    Comet-Aurum

ok thx but how many gouramis do you suggest for my 40 gal?
    I have
    1 nerite snail (previously my other one died :()
    4 cories (planning or getting 2 more)
    4 zebra danio
    1 bristle nose pleco
    5 fancy guppies
    how much space would I have to get some gouramis?
    (I know you are gonna say depends on the type of gourami)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice